019

Kaz Brekker pov

Kaz Brekker pov

WHEN I was a child, I had my brother Jordie who always used to be by my side. Two brothers against the world seemed almost too perfect, maybe that's why my childhood turn out be unforgettable. The constant nagging on the back of my mind as I succeeded in many ways Jordie never wanted me to live by. I could recall the memories of us laughing as we starved away the pain. It's not the fact that each of us ate lies when we were hungry. When in reality  we were dying of starvation as death approached us.

Now, as I stood there glaring at the woman at my feet who prided my ego. The way she launched her body forward in hopes to escape seemed almost too pitiful. The way her eyebrows creased together as she tried to decipher my intention set fire to my legs. The way I stood there above her sent my mind into a fire maze as I abandoned my cane not long ago. I stumbled as I tried my best to squat as my leg ached with the compression. My face tilted to the side as I approached the desperate girl. My hands shook as they reached towards her belt loop in order to retrieve one of the most prized possessions.

  A key to freedom and a doom to some.

"I'll be taking this back" I laughed in her face, only if she laughed back then I would have been doomed. If she laughed then I knew I would've won but if she cried then I would have completely shattered. Her body had scratched itself against the hardwood ground as her dress slowly rose up to her knees. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I pulled my cane from the floor and brought it towards her dress. She had her eyes closed as I pulled the dress downwards to her feet.

  She begged as I walked away still my heart missed a beat as her voice cracked. I had to win, because Kaz Brekker had never lost in his life. I walked up the stairs but turned around one more time.

"I am indeed grateful for your sacrifice. I'll be spending your part of the money very wisely,don't mourn what was never yours" I spoke in her direction as I opened the door, leaving my asset on the floor. Leaving her to suffer in many ways I would have never known.

My body seemed to become paralyzed as I stood there in the open deck staring out in the dark sea. The sea had brought many painful memories as I replayed them each day trying to figure out a way to stop the past. The constant nightmares that accompanied my body never seemed to deceased. I could hardly get any night sleep as the screams played in my head. Would have Jordie approved of me mourning his death after all these years? No, he would have told me to move forwards and that's exactly what I planned. The only thing that crammed into my mind was the phrase brick by brick because I, Kaz Brekker never truly moved on.