Mrs. Spengler

Autumn had left New York City and winter was in full swing. Gone were the Jack-o-Lanterns and in were the Christmas reeves and trees. Genevieve Spengler was no exception, having decorated her front door to her and her husband's, townhouse. After her near death experience with a certain Sumaritan god, she spent most of her time at home or working part-time at Ray's book store. Egon made enough money for Genevieve to have the luxury of choosing her career.

It was two days after Halloween, Genevieve sat in her living room, toying with the grand piano that sat by the front window. Every now and then she would look out and watch people walk down the street. In all honesty, she was hoping to see Egon come home from work. She knew he got caught up in his research, it was indearing when she was his assistant and was the one who would eventually coax him out of his work. But now, being home alone all day, sometimes until late in the night, his work habits got on her nerves. She took a glance at the clock that hung above one of the many bookshelves in the living room.

7 o'clock.

"That's it." she huffed, closing the lid of her piano. She walked to the coat rack, quickly throwing on a large peacoat and some boots. She yelled a goodbye to her cats and made her way to Egon's work. He was rehired at Columbia after the success of the Ghostbusters. What once was Weaver Hall was now the Institute for Advanced Theoretical Research, thanks to the great Dr. Spengler.

She opened the heavy, oak door. Forgetting it's weight, she struggled for a moment until one of the researchers helped her. She looked at the young woman and smiled at her.

"Good evening, Mrs. Spengler. Dr. Spengler is in the back." the woman said.

Genevieve took off her jacket, draping it over her arm. "Thank you."

It took a while for her to get used to being "Mrs. Spengler", but she liked the butterflies she got everytime someone addressed her as such.

She mumbled 'hellos' to the passing researchers and interns as she made her way to the back. Finally, she reached the back door. Five years ago it read, "Venkman burn in hell!" and it was now replaced with a gold plate with Egon's name on it. You could still see the faded red letters on the wood, though. It was a big inside joke between her and her friends.

One of Egon's lab assistants acknowledged Genevieve's presence, "Dr. Spengler, your wife is here."

Egon popped up from behind a table, he smiled at his wife. Four years had passed since he married her, but he still had a big schoolboy crush on her. He walked over to her, kissing her temple and hanging up her coat on the back of his office chair. He ushered for her to follow him to where he was previously working.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Mrs. Spengler?" he said smiling, picking up his clipboard.

She shrugged, "It was getting late and I just wanted to check on you, see what you were up to."

He walked around the lab, Genevieve hot on his trail. "I'm still working on the human emotions and it's affect on its surroundings theory. Making some progress today. But, I had a visitor today so that's why I'm staying a little late tonight."

"Oh, who?"

"Dana." he said nonchalantly, scribbling something down on the clipboard.

Her eyes widened, "What did she need?".

Being the only two couples in their mutual friend group, Dana and Genevieve were quite close. Especially after their shard Gozer experience. When she married Peter, Genevieve helped with the wedding planning and was one of her bridesmaids. Egon and Genevieve were Dana and Peter's son's godparents. Hearing that there was a potential problem that Dana had and she went to Egon first instead of Genevieve kind of stung.