18

The next day, Diana decided to follow Sophia's advice and hit up Malik. She didn't like the awkward tension between them and really just wanted her best friend back. They had agreed to meet up at Grand Texas Theme Park.

It was a staple in their friendship growing up and she hoped that the location would foster up friendly vibes and happy memories. She wore high waisted cutoff shorts with a strappy white crop top and matching converses. It was a nice day out and she just wanted it to be a good day overall.

Diana had bought their passes and waited in front of the entrance for Malik. Her men were dressed in plain clothes and sprinkled around with equal access to her should anything occur.

It was overkill, but it was the only way Guillermo agreed to let her go. Five minutes and Malik still hadn't shown up. "If that nigga bails on me, I will scream." Diana said looking to the right of the parking lot.

"Scream then." Malik said behind her while wrapping his arms around her. Diana smiled widely before turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I've missed you, D." Diana pulled back and looked into his beautiful eyes. "I've missed you too, Mal." He let her down before smiling. "Ready to eat your weight in funnel cakes?" Diana laughed heartily.

"Yes, but after the rides!" Malik nodded before taking her hand in his. "I'm sorry," Malik whispered letting her go. "Old habits." She gave him a small smile before linking their arms. "Come on!" She pulled him into the entrance taking notice of Mateo and Miguel walking up a few feet behind them.

Other than a few blunders, the day spent with Malik went just as Diana hoped it would. There were laughs and jokes like old times and a much-needed walk down PG-rated memory lane.

It was obvious it was a bit hard for Malik in the moments where he found himself touching her thigh or attempting to hold her hand. They found themselves sitting on a park bench outside the theme park drinking their slushies.

"This is hard, D." Malik began with a sigh. "I just...I never thought I'd lose you." Diana looked down at her fingers before looking into his eyes that were so expressive.

"You didn't lose me, Mal. I'm still your best friend." He simply sighed and Diana could see the weight of the world on his shoulders. "You are the love of my life, Diana. My one and only and my stupidity and insecurities ruined any chance of us being together. I hate myself for that."

She didn't know what to say to him. He wasn't lying. If Malik had given them a chance years ago Diana was sure she'd be Mrs. Ali with three boys to show for it. "Mal..." He shook his head. "There's nothing to say, D. You're happy now and that's all I want for you. I don't like him, but I can't say that I hate him because he's giving you everything I was too scared to."

"I will always be your best friend, Diana. I will always be here for you. I'm thankful that you found someone to love you wholeheartedly. You deserve every good thing." Malik took in her wide smile and couldn't help but return it. He kissed her forehead before squeezing her knee. "This was nice. We need to do something weekly and invite Theo and Sophie." Malik smiled.

Diana stood up with him and nodded. "I don't know about Theo. His wealthy boo Roger takes him out on weekend getaways, but we can wrangle up Sophia from under Gael and maybe do something next week." He nodded his head before pulling her in for a hug. "I love you, Diana." She heard the weight of his words and knew he didn't mean it platonically. "I love you too, Mal."

Diana found herself back in her penthouse. She was exhausted and just wanted to wash the day away. Once she was washed, dried and moisturized she opted to throwing on one of Guillermo's hoodies she stole from him.