19

Diana woke up to something tickling her nose. Whatever it was irritated her. She began swatting away sleepily until she heard a giggle. Diana opened one eye and then the other and smiled widely. "Sophie!" She exclaimed before sitting up and pulling her best friend into a hug.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault!" Diana cried into her shoulder and Sophia comforted her as best as she could. "Shh, D. It's not your fault. We had to have known something like this could happen with the line of work our men are in."

Diana pulled back and took in her best friend. There wasn't anger on Sophia's face. There wasn't sadness. There was a weird sense of peace and acceptance reflected in her eyes that shook her. "What are you going to do?" Diana held her residual limb and held back a sob. Sophia smiled at her best friend and sighed.

"Retire with the fat stacks I've made and finally open up a creole restaurant to manage." Diana smiled at her. "You're finally going to do it?" Sophia nodded. "You were supposed to be a chef at your own restaurant though. You were supposed to experience your God given talent daily."

Sophia let her cry it out as she rubbed her back. "Best friend, you're acting like me or my man aren't rich bitches. There is such a thing as a prosthetic. I will cook again, but for now I just need to focus on healing and getting Gael together." Diana wiped her eyes and nodded in agreement. "Guillermo is going to figure out who did this, Sophie. I promise." She gave her best friend a squeeze before yawning. "Did you not sleep?" Diana asked her worriedly.

"No wench! The way you be hogging the sheets, mumbling in your sleep and then snoring like a banshee I didn't get a lick of sleep! I don't know how Daddy G deals with you!" Diana stared at her friend mouth open before slapping her arm.

"I do NOT snore!" Sophia kissed her teeth. "Tell that to all the patients you kept awake. You probably woke Gael up from his medically induced coma." Diana gave her a look before the two best friends began cackling. "I love you, Soph." Diana smiled happily. "I love you more, D."

Guillermo sat beside Gael's bedside and sighed. He didn't get much sleep. Too much was on his mind. "I wish I was there for you, hermano. This shouldn't have happened." He sat there for a while deep in thought before he felt warm hands rub his shoulders. "Did you sleep?" Guillermo asked her. "Apparently, I slept good and deep. Sophie said I snored loud enough to wake the dead." Diana half chuckled. Guillermo smiled at the sound.

"I'm going to be busy taking care of some things this week. Are you going to be okay?" Guillermo asked her turning around. She nodded her head with a hum. "I'm going to be with Sophia. I need to support her during this time. She needs to be as close to 100% before Gael wakes up." He nodded his head in understanding. He took in her faraway look and sighed. "Come here, querida." Diana walked over and sat on his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and sighed.

"I don't want to go back to my penthouse, cariño. I don't think I can. I don't feel safe there after what happened." He watched as her eyes misted and knew she was reliving her experience.

"You never have to go back there again, mi amor. Your stuff is being moved to my house as we speak. I don't want you anywhere other than by my side. I will keep you safe and protect you with my life. Always." Guillermo looked into her eyes with his declaration.

"You know I'm redecorating, right?" Diana gave him a subtle smirk causing him to chuckle. "You can do whatever you like, querida. That house is just as much yours as it is mine." She nodded her head with a small smile.

"I never thought I'd be living with someone." Guillermo laughed. "You want marriage, don't you? There are steps to that, mi amor. First comes love. Then comes moving in together. Then comes marriage." Diana looked at him with a smirk. "Is that a proposal?"