The Oracle

The mess hall is where we eat before plugging in to the Matrix. For some reason breakfast was a substance with a consistency somewhere between yogurt and cellulite. While the people in IO get something like in the Matrix. While hovercraft crews get this.

"Here you go, buddy. Breakfast of champions for all hovercraft crews."

Mic slides it in front of me and takes a seat with the other crew members enjoying breakfast."

"You mean the breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions for all hovercraft crews."

"If you close your eyes, it almost feels like you're eating runny eggs." Grape says.

"Or a bowl of snot." Fire_Ice adds.

"But you know what it really reminds me of? Tastee Wheat. Did you ever eat Tastee Wheat?"

Before I could even answer Creati told Grape.

"No, but technically neither did you."

"Exactly my point, because you have to wonder, how do the machines know what Tastee Wheat really tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong, maybe what I think Tastee Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. It makes you wonder about a lot of things. Take chicken for example. Maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like which is why chicken tastes like everything. And maybe --" Grape was sounding like a conspiracy nut.

"Just like Mouse." Neo said.

"Shut up, Grape."

I scoop up a spoonful.

"It's a single-celled protein combined with synthetic aminos, vitamins, and minerals. Everything your body needs. We grow it in a vat." Ingenium said.

"Oh no, it doesn't have everything the body needs." Grape fires back.

He slides up to Me.

"So I understand you've run through the Agent training program? You know, Mouse wrote that program."

"He honors the dead."

"Here it comes."

"So what did you think of her?"

"Of who?"

"The woman in the red dress. Mouse designed her too. She doesn't talk much but if you'd like to, you know, meet her, I could arrange a more personalized milieu."

"The digital pimp hard at work."

"Pay no attention to these hypocrites, Deku. To deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."

All Might enters.

"I want everyone on twelve hour standby. We're going in. I'm taking Deku to see her."

With that he turns and leaves.

"See who?"

"The Oracle."

Everyone is strapped into their chairs. Mic is at the operator's station.

"Alright, everyone please observe that the no smoking and fasten seat belt signs have been turned on. Sit back and enjoy your flight."

He strikes the enter key and each body reacts to the plug in.

an old phone that rings inside the empty room until everyone appears now standing there. All Might answers the phone.

"We're in."

The door opens and for the first time since his release, Deku steps back into the Matrix. He squints at the sun which seems unnaturally bright. He is the only one without sunglasses. Fire_Ice and Creati remain at the door as the others enter the alley.