Chapter 31: Uncovering truths

Sinon: I still hate you but... Let me borrow your lap for a bit

Sinon said as she went ahead and laid down and rests her head on his lap.

The two stayed silent, not saying anything

The two stayed silent, not saying anything. A while later, Sinon started to speak, breaking the long silence.

Sinon: I... killed someone... Five years ago there was a robbery at a post office in a small Tohoku town. The media said the robber died when his gun misfired. But actually, I was there, and I stole his gun, and I shot him to death

Akiri: Five years ago?

Sinon: I was eleven. Ever since then, whenever I see a gun, I throw up or pass out. Whenever I see a gun, I see the face of the man I killed. And I get scared... So scared

He felt her hands starting to shake. He hesitates a little, but decided to reach over and hold her hand.

Sinon: But... In this world, I've been okay. So I thought, if I could be the strongest player in this world, I could be stronger in the real world. I could forget that memory...

He only stayed silent, listening closely to her.

Sinon: But back there, when Death Gun attacked me, I was scared. At some point, I stopped being Sinon. I was back to being the real me

He notices that her body is now trembling, she is genuinely frightened.

Sinon: I'm scared to die. But... But... Living in fear hurts just as much. If I run from Death Gun and those memories, without fighting, I'll become weaker than I was. So... I...

Akiri: I killed someone as well

He said, and Sinon turns her head to look at him.

Akiri: I killed a lot of people actually...

He stopped himself from saying anything further. He knew there's no going back once he told her. Once he made up his mind, he took a deep breath and exhaled.

Akiri: I told you before that I knew Death Gun, that he was from another game, right...? The name of that game... was Sword Art Online...

Her eyes widened as she looked at him completely shocked.

Sinon: Then you really are...

Akiri: Yeah... I'm an SAO survivor... And so is Death Gun... He was a member of a murder guild named Laughing Coffin, a red player. They killed countless people...

He took a moment to take a breath before continuing.

Akiri: One day, a raid sized party was formed to imprison them. I was one of the members. But the information was leaked, and we were ambushed instead. The battle got deadly real quick. When I saw my guildmates, my friends, dying in front of my eyes... that's when I finally lost it...

Sinon: Lost it...?

Akiri: I killed one of them. And it felt so good, finally getting revenge. Vengeance. So I killed another one. Then another... In the end, I killed over ten of them during that raid...