(Aincrad arc finale) Chapter 13: Whatever it takes

After the long battle against the Skull Reaper, everyone was exhausted and was on the ground, catching their breaths. Kirito and Asuna sat next to each other while Akiri sat with the other members of the KOB. Akiri looked towards Heathcliff and saw that his HP is still in the green and he got suspicious.

Akiri: (thoughts) How? How is it that his HP never went to the yellow...?

Akiri thought back to the moment he saw Heathcliff moved too quickly during his battle with Kirito.

Akiri: (thoughts) Maybe....

He then thought back to how Heathcliff is always calm in a boss fight and never lose his cool. It was almost if he wasn't worried about dying and he knew the boss's attack patterns from the start. He then narrows his eyes towards Heathcliff.

Akiri: (thoughts) There's only one way to find out for sure. And I'm gonna need a distraction

He then looked towards Kirito to see that he was in deep thought while looking at Heathcliff.

Akiri: (thoughts) Come on Kirito. Connect the dots...

He then saw Kirito slowly started to grab his sword and slowly got up and Asuna noticed this and she looked towards him.

Asuna: Kirito-kun?

Kirito then quickly rushed Heathcliff using the sword skill, <<Rage Spike>>. Heathcliff notices Kirito and puts up his shield and blocked Kirito's attack.

Heathcliff: What is the meaning of this? You think you can sneak up on me like that?

Kirito just smirked and looked up towards Heathcliff.

Kirito: No, I don't. I'm just a distraction

His eyes widened and he looked behind him to see that Akiri lunging towards him with his sword, "Lightbringer". Heathcliff couldn't react in time as Akiri is already right in front of him. Akiri's attack hits, but couldn't damage him and the word "Immortal Object" pops up in front of Heathcliff while he looks towards Akiri in shock.

Akiri: I knew it

Asuna: Kirito-kun, Akiri, what are you-

Asuna then saw the screen in front of Heathcliff and was completely shocked.

Asuna: "Immortal Object"? What is going on, Commander?

Kirito: The game ensures that his HP will never fall into the yellow zone

Akiri: Ever since we got trapped in this damn game, there is one thing that always bothered me. Where was Kayaba watching us from? Where was he controlling this world from? And then, I thought of something. There is nothing more boring, more uninteresting then watching other people play an RPG from the sidelines. Don't you agree, Kayaba Akihiko?

Heathcliff: Would you be so kind as to tell me how you figured it out?

Akiri: When I first saw you, Heathcliff. The way you fight. It was perfect, almost too perfect. You never made any mistakes, you were always calm. You always seem like you were in control. And my suspicion grew when I saw you moving too quickly during your duel with Kirito

Heathcliff: I suspected as much. That was an unfortunate mistake. He overpowered me to the point that I needed to engage the system assist.

Everyone looked towards Heathcliff in complete shock.