34

Her lips extended in pure delight as her eyes enlarged in
wonderment at what she
witnessed. Sakshi sent a photo of him and her in the background,
holding each other's hands, while Ameesha's
hand was in Abhiraj's in the foreground. She couldn't articulate the picture's beauty. It was like a revitalizer to her debilitating heart. Even
though she was in the background, she couldn't take her gaze away from them. Their hands were still entwined, and since standing in proximity their hands could hardly be comprehended as joined and with the bride and groom in attention hardly anyone would like to see them, and especially their joined hands. Why and when and how, the answers to such questions never came to his mind as he held her hand firmly in his, but making sure it didn't hurt her.

The intimacy he felt while holding her hands was unlike any other kind of intimacy he had ever experienced. The form of love and intimacy did not flutter his heart in the same way that holding her head did. Maahi's smile made him smile as well, but with her, he wanted to see her smile all the time, no matter what. Caring for her was becoming second nature to him. He took the time to notice even the smallest details about her. Unlike in previous years, after his breakup, when he couldn't involve himself with any girl, her charm enticed him to walk her way and entangle himself in her. He had considered love, but it wasn't love because he had felt love.

The soft and small fingers circled his palm, causing him to raise an eyebrow at her. She motioned to their clasped hands, and he simply shook his head, denying receiving her large eyes in return. His lips pursed, stretching hers in a smile. Tickling his palm, she released her grip and blinked her eyes, as if reassuring him about something.

"Hey, baby, my goodness how did I get so lucky, that I have got the most perfect person for myself", Abhiraj gushed mesmerized by the bride Ameesha.

"Abhi, I missed you", she whispered, entangling her arm with his.

"I missed you too, aisa lag rha tha, just skip all these rituals in between and just jump to this day and take you home as soon as possible"

"Main achi lag rhi hun"

"Perfect, the prettiest bride", he complimented making her grin the widest. They were standing on a large pedestal, made for them with one beautiful throne-like seating couch. According to the customs it would first be the garland exchange, and then they will proceed with the nuptial. The commotion soon began which was the bugle for the wedding to finally begin. A few preludes and soon the two were accompanied by their brothers and sisters on their respective sides, cheering for the groom and bride to not bow down for the garland to be worn.

"Bhai, kuch bhi ho jaaye jhukna nahi hai...", someone from Abhiraj's side cheered, boosting the groom.

"Han han humara ladka bilkul nahi jhukega", another joined the clan.

"Toh humari ladki ko kam smjha hai kya, jhukoge toh pehenayegi warna le jaana apne ladke ko aise hi", Sakshi challenged, and amidst the claims and challenges about the groom and the bride, they had their time to stare at each other and smile, the pre-wedding type of smile, if that is something.

"Areyy yeh toh dekh lenge, chal Ameesha, jab take he don't bow tu nahi daalegi yeh", Riya cheered, handing the rose and pearl strung beautifully together. Ameesha nodded and stood with her hands resting on her waist for the demand to be fulfilled, and in the very next second, he was lifted up in the air on the shoulders of his boys making it impossible for her to reach his height. Primarily he was already gifted in height, while she was quite short, furthermore, he was raised too high for her to reach. Abhiraj tried putting a resistance after seeing no efforts from her to reach him which warned him, telling she meant what she said.

"Bhai utaar de, woh sach mein nahi maanegi, or main bina shaadi kiye nahi jaaunga", the boys glared at him, denying the request.

"Yaar dekh usko, mujhe karna hai shaadi utaar do bhai log, abhi tum logo ki nahi hui hai na isliye aisa kar rahe ho, jab hogi na toh sab bologe, aise mat dekho mujhe", he tried again, smiling at her. She was loving the game. It wasn't that she didn't wish to get married, but the game was fun and what is marriage if not fun. Abhiraj was finally put down, which was accompanied by the girls teasing them. The elders were having fun at the banter while a few of them joined them on the stage set up for them. There was a round of applause and hooting, cheers, and laughter. Mother was being emotionally happy while the father had a smile on seeing her daughter smiling. The photographers assigned the task were running to and fro trying everything in their capabilities to capture every moment of it.