FIVE

the day bella swan was almost crushed by an out of control van was the day that jasmine almost killed tyler for being reckless. sure, it wasn't entirely his fault, considering the road had been wet and slippery, and he definitely hadn't meant to almost hurt the swan girl, but he still should've been more careful. as tyler's friend, she brought him to the hospital, cecilia accompanying them, and she stayed until his parents and charlie swan, the chief of forks police, got to the hospital.

when bella said that edward cullen had been the one to stop the van from crushing her, the two graves girls exchanged knowing looks that no one else picked up on. tyler took jasmine's hand and squeezed it nervously as bella's father entered the room, pointing at the boy and telling him they'd talk later while getting checked up.

"officer swan, tyler didn't mean to hurt bella. please don't be too harsh on him. the road was slicked, you know how it is," she says, trying to be reasonable as her friend apologizes over and over to the swan girl.

"and who are you?" he questions, a frustrated look on his face as he turns on her.

"dad, this is jasmine, my friend from school. and it's okay, she's right. it wasn't his fault."

charlie nodded in acknowledgement of who the newly introduced girl was, but he certainly wasn't fine. tyler's mother taps jasmine on the shoulder, sending her a weary smile while trying to hide the pain in her eyes.

"thank you for bringing him here and trying to stick up for him. but you and your sister should go home, you don't need to be involved in this," she says, placing a hand on jasmine's shoulder as if pleading with her to leave. she shares a look with her sister before slowly nodding at the woman, then turns to tyler while squeezing his hand once more.

"you call me later and tell me everything the doctor said, okay? and no lying to me about being okay. if you have a concussion, tell me, and i'll make sure to get all your homework and stuff from school so that you can rest at home, got it?"

tyler's eyes were tearing up at her genuine concern, and he nodded, squeezing her hand harder than the other times. his mother thanked her again, murmuring how she was thankful her son had such a good friend, before she moved to bella. the swan girl stared up at her from the edge of the hospital bed, not knowing what the other girl wanted to say, but waiting to hear it.

"try to be more careful, okay? if anything like that happens again, try to run out of the way or something. be safe, bella."

she nods at the chief, then makes to leave with cecilia, almost running into an extremely good looking man in a doctors coat as he walks in.

"i heard the chief's daughter was here," he states pleasantly, walking in but coming to a stop in front of the two sisters. cecilia stares up at him, eyes barely masking the fear of the unknown that was flashing in them, and jasmine subtly kept her sister behind her.

"sorry, excuse us. we were just leaving," the girl calmly says, stepping around the man and keeping her hand locked with her sister's as they walked out. she knew the man was a vampire, knew he was the famous doctor cullen, and she knew that he was watching them two of them until the doors closed, and he was back to treating the swan girl.

they almost missed running into another cullen as they were trying to leave the building, it being the blonde girl that tended to outwardly express her hatred for everyone.

"watch it," she grumbles, having accidentally ran into cecilia while they were walking in opposite directions.

"maybe move out of the way instead of expecting everyone else to do it for you," jasmine snaps, leading her sister away and ignoring whatever scathing look rosalie sent her for that remark. they easily made it to the car after that, the two finally managing to let out the breaths they'd been holding since running into the older cullen vampire.