EIGHTEEN

sam couldn't believe his eyes when he first saw the newly shifted wolf that turned out to be his cousin. she had blue eyes that matched his own in wolf form, and her coat of fur was only a shade or two lighter from his. it showed that they really were from the same bloodline, and while sam was a bit relieved he didn't have to worry about her possibly shifting anymore since she already had, he also wasn't happy about it.

she was his baby cousin. he never wanted this to happen to her, even if it did save him having to constantly think about it possibly happening. granted, the chances had always been low, but she had uley blood, and one could never be too careful.

he figured that spending so much time around the cullens must've finally triggered it, even if they'd recently skipped town.

sam resigned to them talking through everything when they were back at emily's, nerves racing through him as she closely followed behind him. he knew she could hear his thoughts, but he elected to ignore that in favor of trying to work through processing whatever had happened.

when they finally got back to emily's, he easily shifted back, grabbing the shorts that he'd tied around his back leg and pulling them on. he looked back at his cousin, realizing she didn't have any clothes with her, and went to grab some from emily inside.

"hey, sam," his fiancée greets pleasantly, kissing his cheek when he passed by. he smiled at her, but then it turned weary as he remembered he needed to give hailey some clothes.

"what's up, alpha? you look like you've just had the shock of your life," jared questions, looking up from the plate of food he had in front of him. paul was seated across from him, the lahote boy looking up with a similar questioning glimmer in his eyes.

"just a second," sam grits out, grabbing a shirt and some shorts from his and emily's room before rushing back outside, where the giant black wolf was waiting. looking at her, she looked about as big as him in wolf form, which was a bit shocking but also not entirely surprising.

"here, change into these. they're em's."

he tosses the clothes at her, about to try and help her shift back, but she forces him to turn around so that she could shift and change with a bit of privacy. once he heard a grunt from the girl, he turned around and smiled lightly seeing his baby cousin in front of him, human again (and fully clothed).

"hey, hails."

"sammy," she greets back, rushing over and hugging the man. he embraced her in return, squeezing her as tightly as he felt was safe, still thinking of her as a fragile human, when really she was about as durable as him.

"i can't believe you never told me about this. we've been best friends forever, and you couldn't even tell me about it?" she questions, hurt evident when they pulled apart. sam went to explain and apologize, but they were cut off by the screen door opening, and both cousins snap around to look for the source of the noise.

their eyes fell on emily, who gives them both a confused smile while walking a bit farther out on the porch.

"sam? who's this?"

hailey looks between her cousin and the woman, eyes widening as she recalls all the rumors about sam leaving his girlfriend for her cousin.

"oh my god, is this emily? leah's cousin?"

sam nods slowly, already feeling the judgmental stare of the girl as he says, "and... my fiancée."

"oh my fucking god! you two are engaged now? weren't you spouting shit to leah about getting married only a few years ago?! i still can't believe you did this to her, but now you're fucking engaged?!"