Chapter 10: The Song

The update as promised:

Chapter 10: The Song

"Did you even accomplish anything in the 8 hours you spent at school"

Melvin's voice was not raised, but it carried through out the living-room. 

Jordan and I were being debriefed of our day of school. We had just gotten home a few minutes ago.

"I managed to befriend someone."

"Who?"

"A girl named Katy, and she just happened to be in with the popular kids."

"Michelle, if you can't handle insert yourself into the popular "Clique", then at least  tag along with Jordan. It doesn't seem a problem to him."

"Exactly!" I felt like jumping up and shouting Eureka. "That's my point!"

Jordan's so used to this its like second nature! I'm much more used to blending in with the fray." I folded my arms and sat back.

Melvin lifted his coffee for a sip. He looked weirdly out of place in my warm, cozy, living room. He just seemed so sharp in such a soft place. A rose in an onion patch.

 "Did you tail Ginny Gautier?" Melvin asked.

"That's  a bit difficult considering we don't have the same classes and after school programs and stuff."

"That can be arranged." He inclined his head.

"Also, how would I look, following Ginny, turning up at every corner. We'd have to be enrolled in some sort of big brother- big sister program or something."

 "That too, can be arranged." Melvin conceded.

 Well he just had all the answers, didn't he?

I looked up at his face .

Melvin's lips were turned up, ever so slightly, at the corners. " We may not have to go that far."

Wait a minute. Was he teasing me?

Was Melvin, director of the Secret Society of Smart Teens, Hydrangea branch, kidding with me?

"Jordan, you may come in." Melvin raised his voice slightly.

        Jordan's steps were too short, the door opened to quickly. With his cheeks slightly flushing a light pink, it was hard not to realize that he'd been eavesdropping.

He coughed awkwardly, knowing that we knew that he'd been listening in.

Jordan pulled up a chair and sat down. '

"So..." He said, tipping his chair back, "Are we gonna talk...or naw?"

I didn't mean to laugh. Really. It just burst out of me in an uncontrolled spasm of sound.

Melvin's mouth twitched, i think. Or maybe it was just the sun?

***

        I was bored. I was so bored that the whole idea of being bored was boring me. Life was bland with out Jordan. I leaned back on my bed and sighed, staring at the crack in my ceiling from that time i played catch with my wall. My dad was at work and my mom was grocery shopping. home alone is not as exciting as it sounds. Like I'm a spy right? Surely I could find something worthwhile to do for and hour.

15 minutes later...

I was still looking at that same crack. The clock ticked loudly each pair sounding as if were calling his name.