Chapter 16: The Seduction pt.1

The next morning,  I sat at the breakfast table thinking of Jordan. I wondered if he would still show up. I almost got up to get ready for school, but I changed my mind. When Jordan says he'll do something he will always do it even if he doesn't want to. He would show up for practice.

As if on cue, I heard a knock on the door. It was him! I made a mad dash for the front door, knocking into several things on the way. I reached the door, unlocking it and wrenching it open. "Jordan I--" I looked up into Melvin's eyes in disbelief, breathing hard. "Good Morning to you, Michelle."

I couldn't hide the extreme disappointment I felt.  I rubbed the heels of my hands into my eyes, surprised to feel the urge to cry. "Where's Jordan?" I croaked, lump in throat.

" He had a...situation to take care of." Melvin walked calmly to the living room, stepping over several items that I had knocked down.  I blushed furiously at his raised eyebrow. After a minute or two I closed the door resigning to the fact that Jordan wasn't showing up.  I walked to Melvin.

"Do I need to do patrol for Ginny?" I asked him.

"No...you needn't bother yourself with that today." He poured a cup of tea.

I paused. Wait, what? I always did patrol for Ginny. "Are you sure?"

He paused in the middle of a sip. His slate-gray eyes met mine and held. "Quite sure." He resumed his sipping. 

Feelign slightly blindsided I made a hasty escape up the stairs, mumbling some blab about calling my dad.

Why did I feel like things beyond my control were changing my life. Was I just being over emotional because of Jordan? I heaved out a sigh. We only had major argument like this and it was over something so stupid I don't remember it.  That time he'd been the one to cave. Was it my turn to bend? Was this even a fight worth winning?

I didn't  how when stuff in my personal life hit the fan I got introspective and questioned everything.  When you ask questions and have no way to  answer them you throw your self into a never-ending spiral of doubt.

I got up and opened my closet. I honestly had no idea what to wear.  I honestly didn't even feel up to putting on a seductress' air and going out to school. I just wanted to curl up in my bed and cry.

But duty calls...

I threw on a cream sweater that hung off my shoulders and a pair of light lavender jeans. I looked through my shoes for my favorite pair of Nikes. They were sliver and white leather Sky dunks and they never failed to make me smile. Except for today. I pulled them on anyway and walked down the stairs, pulling on my book-bag.  "Need a ride?" My mom yelled from the kitchen.

"No!" I yelled back, slamming the door shut. I jogged down the block, glad to put my emotion somewhere it counted. I breathed in a healing breathe and let it out. I needed to focus my mind and get the job done. I had to forget Jordan for the time being.

But even as my feet pounded the ground and the air burned through my lungs I knew in my heart that I could never forget him.

***

I arrived to the school slightly sweaty. Running around the gate at Hydrangea HQ really taught my body something. According to Ginny's schedule I was supposed to be in Gym first hour.  I absolutely used to loathe Gym, and now It gave me an odd satisfaction to see Ginny huff and puff her way through sequences. I pushed open the doors and my nostrils were immediately assailed with the stench of sweaty bodies and musk. As usual I struggled to breathe through my  mouth. I glanced around the room and met the eyes of Jordan. I gasped and I immediately began moving toward him. What was he doing here? He frowned when he saw me and began to immediately move toward me too.

"What are you doing here?" We said at the same time. I frowned, what? I stared into his green eyes and waited for him to explain, all the while resisting the urge to jump into his arms. Jeez, we were back to stage one; me trying to suppress my feelings and listen to the call of duty.

"This isn't your class anymore." He peered into my face, "Did Melvin tell you that..." He seemed to see something in my eyes and didn't finish his sentence.

"What do you mean, this isn't my class, did Ginny transfer or something?"

"Michelle...I..." He looked into my eyes, his green ones pools of self-torture. Did he feel like me? Were we the same in our--

"Listen. You need to get out of here before the teacher  comes back so we both don't get into trouble." He blew out a heavy sigh an ran his hands through his hair.  I knew that that was no where near what he wanted to say.

I felt my eyes sting and blew out a breath of my own. "Alright." I said in a small voice, fearing what would happen if I raised it, the words 'I love you' on the edge of my lips.

I turned around and steeled my shoulders; walking away was almost as scary as going to him in the first place.

I was halfway out the door when I heard him call my name. I slipped through the door, with a heavy heart not turning back.

Halfway down the hall I stopped. I face timed Melvin, taking a moment to compose my self.

"Michelle." He didn't look even halfway surprised. " I have taken the necessary procedures to remove you from the assignment with Ginny. You will have a new schedule and will no longer be obligated to do anything with her."

I knew better than to argue but this was pretty outrageous. How many changes has this mission undergone? Was this even normal? One more twist and I was going to loose it.

"Did you like working with your former oppressor?" He asked.

"No, but I--"

"Then I trust there will be no problems." He ended the call.

What in the world was Melvin trying to do? Its not like I enjoyed working with Ginny, but I thought "they came first". I thought you had sacrifices to do this job. I was actually starting to tolerate and understand if not like, Ginny.

My touch pad beeped and I pulled it out of my book bag. It had my choices for electives. ROTC or Modern Dance. Dance of course...who wants to join the army? Arabic or French? Psychology or business management? French and Phycology were a given. I had several AP clasess and I was almost absolutely sure that Chase wouldn't be any of my classes.  Or Jordan.

My first hour was Modern Dance and all I had to wear was my gym clothes. I was just going to have to wear my normal clothes. I prayed today was a day of instruction. I found the room on the first floor, across from the gym. Modern Dance was probably something they made up to keep with the times.  What I wasn't ready to see was people in leotards chasse-ing across the floor. Least of all I wasn't hoping to meet the grin of Chase in an athletic shirt and shorts. 

To be continued...In part two!

AUTHOR'S NOTE

What do you think of the tension between Jordan and Michelle? Do you think the rift can be fixed? Who do you predict will bend? And what is this Chase dude doing in modern dance, which by the way is not what she expected? What are your thoughts? Comment and give me votes if you liked it! Share it if you loved !

-#94! *squeals* our rank had moved up!! love you guys!

Melted white chocolate strawberries and pearls,

--Sarah