Selfish

"The sword was never meant to be held by a normal wolf, it's poisoning them since they've touched it. They will recover." Myrram comes running into the alcove. "Grab it. Careful!" She turns back without saying to follow, but with her you know you should.

I dip down taking the sword into my hands and tossing it between each hand. The glow of blue slashes through the air, but it flickers when it touches my hands. The sword itself is much lighter than I expected for sure. The color gets lighter as it remains in my control and it hums oddly.

"No Addi! Do not hold it bare handed, you are going to be poisoned like the warriors." Myrram is quick to make me drop the sword at my feet. The hard ting of the metal on the rocks below makes us cringe. "You silly girl." The dig is almost immediately reprimanded but I can't put it past her. I did touch a sword she told me a normal wolf cannot touch. The sword snaps back from the light faint blue color it was becoming to the electric blue it was previously.

"Will they be okay?" I ask watching as the medics rush to attend to the men that are still sprawled across the fresh earth. Myrram watched for a beat before nodding then returning to inspect me. "I am okay." I am quick to dismiss her, I feel fine. I find a torn piece of my fathers shirt large enough to use to lift the sword from where I let it clatter to the ground.

"Let Acer take care of that, you could have delayed symptoms. You are going to your chambers where I can attend to you." Myrram leaves no room for argument and starts off. I begin to wonder why all Roman has been doing is fighting? I would have taken care of that many wolves long ago. I am hoping that he is picking up the pieces of the battle because I have taken care of the rest.

As my mind has changed to him I begin to wonder what is to become of us after the battle. Is he finally going to send me off? I'm no longer what he seeks, but I believe that I deserve more respect than that.

"Adelaide!" Kieran calls covered head to toe in blood and cuts. I instruct him to see the doctors but he immediately returns the request. I feel the pain from my shoulder that the adrenaline had been putting off. "She lost a lot of blood from this wound. She shouldn't still be healing from it." He mentions quickly to Myrram who watches me carefully and finally agreeing with him.

"I swear I am fine."

"Keep him busy, make him do his job." Myrram shoulders the burden of me while Kieran takes off in the other direction to make sure the King is occupied. We wait to see if I show symptoms of poisoning.

"He would want to know, even if they aren't okay right now." Kieran argues, a competition of her decisions. His people need to see their leader, the Queen can't keep doing it by herself, they respect him more. She is still the enemy in their eyes. Maybe not the same enemy as today but she is the enemy Queen, not the one they hoped for.

"He needs to reaffirm the people, they question his rule already. They should be confident in their Queen, especially after today if anyone cares to notice." Myrram is quick to correct him, and the fight of duty and heart is evident in his eyes. He knows that Myrram is right, but it makes me question. Are the people confident in me?

Kieran sighs and launches forward drawing me into his arms hugging me with force. I wrap my arms back around him. "Thank you for staying alive." Without another word Kieran turns and leaves with hopes of keeping the King busy.

"I don't feel the poison Myrram." I inform her but she is quick to hush me and usher me inside of the Summit. She doesn't allow the people around to know how bad off I am, not that I am. I am not dying, sure my shoulder hurts but it is healing.

"We need to clean your wound before you may actually suffer." Myrram begins to work at an especially speedy pace. I am sluggish from the battle, all of it taking a toll but no poison. "You being Lycan is keeping the poisons full effect from taking hold."