Verilee

"How are you?" Kieran asks and I feel guilty, his attentions are on showing what sort of leader he is. I just can't stop thinking about everything between the two of us. He made a comment a week after the funeral about how much nicer it would be if the King and Queen were one. What is that supposed to mean? I wonder if it had anything to do with my comment during our Dance. I haven't seen him much since the night of the funeral, I know I have been acting odd since then because he always seems to think I'm upset or sad when I am really just confused. If we were one, we'd be together.

"These reports seem to be good, the people are heartbroken at the loss of their king, but the transition has been very good. They respond a lot better to your rule than mine, but I get it." I look over the paper sitting in front of Kieran's desk, in the Kings office. After the funeral the elders shoved me back into the Queen's office and I do menial work.

It has been weird for the country, their King and Queen not being mates, but no one can remove me from my position as I am Goddess entitled. There has been small uproar with the noble wolves but Kieran addressed them saying he's honored to serve by my side. I appreciated that far more than I believe he realizes.

"Adelaide, how are you?" Kieran asks once more and I shake my head finally looking up. He looked good behind his desk, he belongs there, a place of power. I find myself watching in awe often as he rules with such ease, far more effectively than Roman. I struggle to do the same anymore, everyone is so enamored by him I am far from the light, far from the action. This is fine as I don't feel as if I am Queen material based on the work Kieran does. If no one is looking then no one will notice.

"Fine." I finalize nodding my head, I need to find my way back to my office to process a groupings of papers based on the origins of our nation. "If you'll excuse me, good work Kieran. I need to get to finishing up some stuff of my own."

"Adelaide, you're not fine." Kieran leans back in his seat, it groans in response to the movement. I stop my movements in the direction of the door. I shake my head and turn back to face him. He's gone serious, no light hearted joking, he's watching me like he can read me. He probably can better than anyone else. He means business and this is a conversation he's going to have, one I can't just walk away from. "Is it Roman, do you miss him?"

"I'm fine. Just need more sleep, but it doesn't affect my performance. I must do some work before I'm paraded around tonight in front of the piranhas." I nod hoping that was sufficient enough of an answer. I didn't give him another moment before I get out of the room by all but sprinting. I don't miss Roman, maybe I miss having a mate, someone who will always care for me, committed to me.

It has been awkward for Kieran and I, we're friends, but I don't know how to feel anymore. We both showed small interest in one another at one point but neither one of us really wants to tempt fate. I think it's pushed us further apart a bit knowing that Kieran would have wanted me at one point and that I would have the same.

"Addi, when are you going to tell him?" Acer asks catching me in the halls on my way back to my office opposite and away from the Kings office, his Beta, and the Gamma offices.

"Tell him?" I ask carefully, I hope Acer doesn't know what he's talking about because I am not ready for anyone to know.

"Adelaide, if you want to step down he's going to have to know. He doesn't have a mate, that's why it doesn't bother him that you've stayed on." Acer begins making sure to keep it hush even though the halls are pretty quiet in comparison. "He's King now, he can choose a mate. He can have a mate bond with whoever he chooses now."

"I know. That's why I'm leaving. I'm setting up all of my jobs, which is few, with enough set plans that it will be taken care of until he decides who he would like in the position of his Queen." I confirm my plans to Acer, how he found them out is beyond me. Acer and I have been close but we were never as close as Kieran and I. Although Acer or Thomas is likely closer to me than Kieran at the moment. I don't think Kieran has been pushing me away I think I've been pushing him, of course it's in my nature. I just don't want to start something that will hurt us. I don't want to hurt him any more than he has been.