Chapter 4: Sword and Shield

The village laid ahead just of them, but the party waited on the road by their campsite, waiting for someone. Naofumi heard a snap of a tree branch, looking up, The Sword Hero wandered down the path towards them. "You're getting here pretty late."

Naofumi commented only for Ren to grunt a bit. He sat down next to him, and the moment after was awkward. Finally... someone said something. "Are we just gonna sit here and stare at the ground or did you have something?"

Garfiel let out as finally, Ren spoke.

"I was thinking about what you said when I last met you. You haven't tried to change your story about what really happened. As well as how the Princess acts." He didn't mention her name since he understands that it might be a trigger now for Naofumi.

"So, when I sent you that last message, I wanted to know if you were willing to come talk and fight with me. Your shield is powerful from what I have heard. I also heard about your nickname, the Savior of the Heavenly Fowl. And I can see... Even at your Level, you seem to be very strong." He admitted. Naofumi's eyebrow raised.

"Was this a pitch for you to come recruit me?" He asked. Ren shook his head. "I... I'm starting to doubt myself. I went towards the area where Itsuke started a civil war... the Place was in ruins... My party and I tried to help them because we were ill prepared...I left them to escort them to safety. I mostly came back to ask if you will join me in helping them." Ren seemed... different. He might have helped these people to seem like a hero. But, right now, he was telling Naofumi he couldn't do much for them and knew it.

"... If the situation is what they are saying, Itsuke is putting a lot on us to clean up his mess...But I don't have the supplies needed for them. If you help me resupply in the town just up the road, we will head out that way to help."

Naofumi's mind was made up, it was not that trusted Ren, nor did he want to clean up after the Bow hero, but the people who were in trouble... they didn't deserve it, and with a larger group, it means they can be more effective.

"While there, you and your party will listen to me, got that?"

Naofumi had an evil look in his eyes, which caused all three of his 'children' to sweatdrop. Ren only nodded after a few seconds of silence. "Works for me, you know what you are doing when it comes to this situation."

As this was said, the five of them all hear someone approaching their position. They turn towards the direction a bit wary until they notice that it was just a boy with an older woman.

"Are you both ok?" Ren was quick to ask them both as stepped up to help both of them over to the campsite.

"Watch your step." The sword hero said, wanting to make sure neither the woman or the boy to trip. Raphtalia was quick to fix them a bowl of their morning breakfast since they still had some left. The boy and the older woman were both given a seat by Garfiel, allowing the two to eat in a comfy seat.

"Thank you." The older woman said as she finished up her food. Garfiel and Raphtalia both look at each other for a moment, sensing that something is wrong. While the pair were thinking this, the boy and the woman finished eating their meal before turning to the group.

"You best avoid the village up ahead. The Village is being infected by plague." She offered, appreciating their hospitality. As she said this, the information caught Ren's attention. "Plague?" He asked the old woman with a curious tone of voice, hiding his concern. She took note of the question, prompting her to nod. "Yes, and a terrible one at that." She added.

Ren thought for a moment.

'A Plague? How?'

When he was there previously, there wasn't a sign of a plague or anything along that line before he left, meaning it just came in. He got up from where he was sitting before turning towards the Shield Hero. "Naofumi, I was here not too long ago... I didn't notice anything that would warn of Plague... would you... Help me check it out?"