Chapter 14: For the first time in forever

9:15 pm

9:15 pm

I settled onto my new couch, the soft glow of my iPad illuminating my face as I scrolled through and reading emails. My speakers softly playing "If We" by Mariah Carey in the background, creating a cozy atmosphere. Beside me, Lovey was curled up her head on my lap and her small frame tucked into a blanket, peacefully asleep. I look over at her a soft smile on my face.

After a few minutes, I set down the iPad and carefully picked up Lovey, cradling her against my chest. She stirred slightly but didn't wake as I made my way to her room. I gently laid her down on the bed, tucking her in snugly, brushing a stray hair from her forehead. As I turned to leave, a notification pinged from my phone, which I had slipped into the pocket of my sweatpants. 

Miles: "I know you don't wanna talk to me right now but I'm outside your building."

I looked down at it a bitter taste in my mouth, recalling what he said 2 weeks ago, 'Crazy Bitch'. I've ignored him and all his texts and calls and I thought after the week of he would stop but here he is again. Glancing at Lovey I left her room softly shutting the door behind me and slipping on a pair of my slides at my front door.

I knew I shouldn't, and that I owe him nothing, but I would be lying if I say I didn't miss our calls and texts or how my name rolled off his tongue, or how I felt like the only girl in the world when his eyes were on me. After taking the elevator down I walked out of my building 

When the doors finally opened, I stepped into the lobby, the familiar scent of the building wrapping around me. As I walked out, the cool evening air hit my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. I spotted him leaning against a nearby lamppost, hands in his pockets, looking both casual and impossibly handsome.

"Why are you here?" I asked my voice coming out harsh.

He turned at the sound of my voice, a mixture of surprise and relief crossing his face. "Hey," he replied, pushing himself off the lamppost and taking a step toward me.

I crossed my arms defensively, my heart racing. "What are you doing here, Miles?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know I messed up, but I couldn't just leave things like that. I needed to see you." I stood there silently as he continued. "I," He let out a sigh deflating like a balloon. "Can we just walk the block once?"

"Miles, If your just ganna play these games then just leave." I said turning.

"Rowan Please." I stopped looking back at him. 

"I'll stay but I'm not walking anywhere with you, I said after glancing up at my building aware of the fact my kid is still at home alone.

"I miss talking to you. I miss... us."

A rush of emotions crashed over me—anger, longing, confusion. "You can't just expect me to forget everything because you miss me," I said, trying to keep my voice firm even though my heart fluttered hearing him say that.