Chapter five: Enoch

The day had consisted of getting to know everyone and enjoying ourselves in our new beautiful environment. Dinner was upon us, so one by one everyone filed in and out of the bathroom, to wash their hands, I was the last one. 

I was fixing up my hair when Abe came in, he blocked the door preventing me from leaving. "May I help you, Abe?"

"I want to know of your peculiarities." 

"Well I don't feel comfortable speaking about them, I'm sure you can understand, I'm sorry."

He didn't budge. "I'm sorry I don't think I can understand. You see everyone here knows everything about everyone, their picks, fears, strengths. Yet here you are acting like you own the place, not wanting to share. How do we know what you are useful for if we don't know of your abilities."

"My abilities aren't to be used for anyone's gain, I'm sorry however I refuse to tell."

He started walking over to me, even when I took steps back he still followed in pursuit. He grabbed me hard on the arms and squeezed them harshly, I wince and groan in pain. "Tell me, or do I need to get it out of your brother, perhaps Victor as he's quite close to you. Tell me, what's your relationship with Victor?"

"Hey! I believe she refused to speak about her gifts, why can't you just respect that and move on. Don't force her and never place your hands on her again. I swear to you Abe if you touch her or her younger brother ever I will hurt you." Enoch said with gritted teeth, as he held Abe up against the wall. 

"Enoch defending someone? You must have a serious crush on her?"

"Leave Abe." Finally, Abe left and Enoch turned to me. 

"Thank you, Enoch."

"Don't mention it, come on supper's ready for you in the kitchen." 

Miss Peregrine and I had decided that whilst Alfie was slowly transitioning into having three-course meals every day, I should do it in private and sing to him just to calm him. 

Once he gets better however and is more confident in having his food, then he and I shall join the others in the dining room.

"Enoch, would you like to join me for dinner, we could get to know each other a bit better?"

Surprisingly he smiled warmly at me and sat once again opposite me. "I'd like that." I smiled a big toothy grin at him. 

***

Tonight was said to be a night full of wonder. Horace had stated during dinner that there should be shooting stars. Of course, everyone begged to watch. 

I watched as everyone hurried to the cover, stopping the raindrops from wetting their heads.

Alfie let go of my hand wandering off to Olive. He tugged her glove, Olive looked down at him as Alfie reached his arms up to let her know he wishes to be carried by her. Olive looked at me and with a smile and nod of confirmation from me, she picked him up and Alfie placed his small hand on her cheek. Her eyes widened and they walked off.

"There's no more room under the cover, great." 

"It is such a lovely night, I think I'd much rather like go swimming tonight." I hooked my arm with him, and without objecting Enoch stepped with me toward the others. 

He seemed surprised that as we were walking through the rain we were not getting wet. The water around us is being manipulated by me to create a shield to protect us. 

We peered up to the sky, watching as stars fell. There were awes all around, it truly was turning into a magical night. A wonderful memory to keep cherished, however, sadly it has come to an end.