Chapter seven: Victor!

A month has passed since Abe had left us for the army. Emma had been moping around the house, sad as anything. Everyone missed him, as his departure was so sudden, however it was needed.

Abe was to come home to us tonight for a visit, before sending off to fight somewhere else. Not going to lie, I have been feeling somewhat bad for being the reason he left, however, I know that if I didn't make him go then I was afraid he would hurt my brother or me.

"Enoch, do you know where Alfie is? It's time for his feeding." I walked into the dining room, finding Enoch and Victor setting up the table. I have looked almost everywhere trying to find this boy.

"I think he went for a bath with Hugh."

"Ok thank you."

"No problem."

Leaving the boys to finish setting up, I walked upstairs and headed for the bathroom. Unfortunately, Alfie wasn't in the bathroom, no one was.

"Hey Angelica, are you looking for Alfie?"

"Oh, Hugh, yes. I got told he had a bath with you?"

"Yeah, we didn't know where you were, so Olive and Emma are helping him get ready for dinner. They're in Emma's room."

"Thank you, Hugh."

"No prob, see you at dinner." 

Walking past Hugh, I made my way to Emma's room, smiling at the three.

"Thank you girls for helping him, but I'm going to have to take him off your hands, it's feeding time." Alfie comes and I pick him up in my arms.

"We have to go and help with dinner anyway, he's so cute."

"We can walk down together, as you're going into the kitchen too right?"

"Yes, come on then, don't want to be late."

"Hey, Angelica, you don't hate Abe for what he did to Alfie?"

"Of course, I don't hate him, I just think my trust will be hard to come back, that's all, you understand that right? I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship, Emma."

"Of course not, I was hoping that my relationship with Abe wouldn't ruin my friendship with you."

We walk downstairs and into the kitchen, as usual, I take my place at the kitchen table.

"Are you going to be eating in here Angelica?"

"Oh, no, I am simply going to feed Alfie and then we will join you at the dining table."

"Ok, we'll leave you to do that." The two girls, finish up in the kitchen and walk out.

"Come on then, let us get you sorted."

As usual, I began to sing to him.

"You really do have a lovely voice."

"Abe, you startled me."

"I apologise. Angelica, I wish to apologise for the past. I was wrong to force you or Alfie into doing something when you didn't wish to do any of it. For that I am sorry."

"I forgive you, Abe, however, you have to know that I don't believe I will be able to forget what happened and don't know if I can trust you."

"I understand, I am thankful to you for accepting my apology."

I nod, he leaves toward the dining room, I wait a few seconds before leaving as well to have my dinner.

The next morning, I awoke with a bad feeling, like something terrible is to happen.

I walked down the stairs dressed ready for the day and whatever challenges it has for me today.

"Goodmorning Bronwyn, isn't it a fine day today?"

"No, it's not." Only then did I notice how chaotic everyone is this morning. The younger ones running around, some crying with the older peculiars tending to them. Bronwyn was sitting at the kitchen table balling her eyes out, with Alfie next to her trying to soothe her.

"What's happened?"

"Vi-Victor he-he left, he left the loop and he's not co-coming back." No.

"How long ago did he leave?"

"Ten minutes ago." Milliard walked into the room, carrying a basket of fruit.

I left the house without another word and ran through the town, following my instincts to the newly made loop.

I walk out of the loop and rush out, stopping for a few to feel my surroundings, letting my feet take me away.

I stand dead still, in shock. There where Victor was peering over the side of the cliff, admiring the view, lurked a Hollow, ready to strike.

"Victor!" I start rushing toward him, holding my skirt up as I go, to prevent tripping.

"Don't try and stop me, Angelica. I can't live in that loop anymore, I want to grow old, I want to live. Being inside that loop is not living."

"No, not that Victor watch out, Hollow!"

The Hollow picked up Victor and started to slash him around as if he were a ragged doll. 

I made my way over to the two and picked up the nearest rock and threw it, directly hitting the Hollow in the side of the head. Which probably wasn't the best idea as now it was coming directly at me. It picked me up, after a few tries of dodging its long slimy tentacles. 

I let out a scream when the fowl creature swung me into the closest branches. "Angelica!"

"Victor!" Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Victor picking up a huge looking branch. 

My eyes widened when he swung blindly. I know he didn't have the ability to see the Hollow, however, I guess he's trying to follow the shadow. 

I guess Victor's aim was spot on, as I was thrown out of the tentacle's grip and hit my head on a rock, I think. I tried lifting my head to see what was going on, however, everything seemed blurry. After a few moments of failing to focus my eyes, I feel my body being lifted, I close my eyes as the sun's light hits them. I guess Victor somehow, managed to rid of the Hollow. 

I wonder how a Hollow got onto the island. 

After a moment of being in the air, I feel myself falling. The wind rushing through my hair, feels like a dream, sleeping right now and dreaming of, what if's sounds divine.