Chapter nine: My weakness

It has been a few weeks since the night I returned home and discovered the horrors that followed. Everyone has been upstairs to say goodbye to Victor in their own time, however, I haven't managed to get myself to say goodbye, to look at his form like my parents.

The effect of not having my heart has finally started taking its toll on me. I groggily got out of bed this morning, and slowly made my way down the stairs.

I slowly make my way into the kitchen and threw myself into the chair with a sigh. Not very ladylike, however, I don't think I could go down very gracefully.

"Goodmorning Angelica, you don't look too well. Is everything alright?"

"Miss Peregrine, I guess my time is coming to an end."

"Why don't we talk in the office, will you be able to feed Alfie. We can have Enoch go down and draw some blood from a villager."

"No, no. Don't put Enoch through the trouble, I believe I can manage."

"I will fetch Alfie myself, you are welcome to feed him in the office, as we speak. I'm sorry to say this however, I do have some news that may shock you."

"I'll try to make my way, I'll stay a little while to gain my strength a little."

Miss Peregrine walks out, Enoch walks in. "Ah, Mr O'Connor, may you give some assistance to Angelica, she is feeling a little under the weather today."

"Of course."

"Thank you."

"So where are we going?" Enoch came up and picked me up around the waist and pulled me up to my feet.

"Miss Peregrine and I need to speak with each other in her office, I'll be feeding Alfie in there."

"Is everything alright?"

"Why don't we talk about it later, that way we have a little more privacy."

"Okay." Enoch seems a little hesitant, however, let's it go and we slowly make our way to Miss Peregrine's office.

Miss Peregrine was waiting with Alfie. "Thank you, Enoch, Angelica why don't you sit over here and we'll get started."

I look back at Enoch's retreating figure and turn toward Alfie, whose climbing up my legs to be fed. "Come here, little one."

I started feeding Alfie and gave my full attention to Miss Peregrine. "Now I understand it has been almost a year since your heart was taken."

"Yes, that's correct."

"There is no easy way to forward you this information, the young lady who has your heart is expected to arrive here at our loop tonight. I understand you are weakened by not having your heart and I believe we can try and convince Miss Williams to give the heart back to its true owner."

"Miss Peregrine with all due respect I do not believe Abigail will give up her life to save my own, for I have lived a long life."

"You are a very selfless girl, I understand that you have lived longer than most, however, that heart truly belongs to you. I dislike the choice of taking one life to save another as much as you do, although Abigail Williams does not belong to the peculiar world, the only reason she can enter our loop is through your heart."

"Miss Peregrine I have taken lives before, it may have been for the better, although all those people had lives to live, they had families, I remember every single face as they died, I do not wish to live through another. Knowing that I could have prevented their death."

"Angelica I cannot let you die, with your state at the moment you are sure to go downhill from here and not recover unless you have your heart. I can't let another of my children die."