Chapter six: Abe

For the past few months, Enoch and I have swam almost every night together, sometimes with Alfie, some with Victor. We have gotten to know each other.

We lay among the stars and shining moon. "Beautiful."

"Indeed they are, I wish someday I can fly among the stars again."

"I wasn't talking about the stars, I was talking about you, Angelica."

I turned my head to look at Enoch who was already looking at me.

"Enoch?"

"I know you've had a rough past, which is why I am willing to take things slow and even leave you be if you don't feel the same way. I know we haven't known each other for long, however, I feel like I have known longer."

"Enoch."

I face my whole body toward Enoch, he does the same, I close our bodies together and cup his cheek with my hand while looking into his dark mysterious eyes, I let our lips touch.

"Be mine?"

"I...."

I freeze as I hear the screams of the townspeople. I look to Enoch who is as confused as I am. We both swim back to shore, as Enoch gets dressed in a hurry I walk cautiously to the path that passes the beach. I look to see a giant wolf and figures running around trying to hurt the animal. 

"Angelica?! What is that?" I have a feeling and gasp. 

"Alfie!" I rush over to the chaos that is occurring right before my eyes. 

There Alfie in a huge, house size wolf, was being backed into a corner by the villagers with Abe standing there laughing like some maniac. 

I brush past him and push my way toward the front of the mob of pitchforks and flames. 

"Get away from the beast girlie, he's dangerous!"

"He'll eat you alive!"

Ignoring the villagers' calls, I make my way to Alfie's front paw, he peers down into my eyes, fear and tears flooding his vision. 

I turn back toward the angry and heavily growing crowd. It took about a split a second to think of a song to make the mob forget what they saw and return peacefully to their homes.

I watched as the dazed villagers dropped their weapons and slowly waddled off back to their homes. The only one left standing there in the crowd was a swaying Abe. 

How could he? To a child? 

Abe shook out of the trance after I had finished the tune, I noticed in the corner of my eye the rest of our household rushing over. 

"What...What happened?"

"How could you Abe, to a child? How could you force him into something he doesn't wish to do? I told you we weren't comfortable expressing our peculiarities and here you are using force." I turn back to Alfie who has calmed down, however still in his wolf form.

"Why don't you try singing to him, he may calm down enough to transform back." Enoch came to my side, giving me a reassuring smile. 

Slowly Alfie transformed back into his old self. I pick up the scared child and cradle him while continuing to sing. I'm going to have to do something about Abe, he can't go attacking my brother like this. 

For the past month, all everyone was gossiping about was the news on the radio about Germans invading our nearbering countries. The war had been active for a while, it mainly stayed over east however, the Nazis are finally here. The rain was pouring down, sirens were blaring, screams could be heard from miles. 

Miss Peregrine was shouting and giving orders, the last I saw of her was when she rushed outside. Then nothing. There were no sirens, no screams, no rain, nothing. Everything was completely silent. 

Miss Peregrine had created a loop, a very dangerous loop. 

Since the night of Abe terrorising my brother in the village, Enoch and I kept a close watch on him. Abe still doesn't stop demanding we show him our peculiarities, I've had to be extra careful when going for a swim. 

Afraid that Abe will follow and watch from afar. Every day, I have been attending to Alfie and his wolf form, we've been working hard to have the form under control. 

Not being able to have Abe out of my mind and being scared, not knowing when he will strike next I had to do something. 

I had come across a flyer, asking for people to stand and fight against the German army. Perhaps I could 'persuade' Abe to join the army, he would be a cherished member of society, and it would mean that he could no longer harm me or my brother.

I knew that it would be cruel, however, it would simply be all his idea, I would mainly coax him a little, I know Abe will stay in the house whenever I stay in from the walks, I'll play the piano, knowing he's listening then sing my tune and poof he's off to join the army.

I take my place at the piano, purposely leaving the door ajar, and began singing my tune. Deeply imagine Abe finding the flyer I placed on one of the side tables in the hallway and imagining himself a hero if he joins. 

I finish my tune and began playing other songs, hoping and praying that Abe will leave. 

To my great surprise a week later, Abe had announced his departure.