A Trial or Two

The tension between Alma and Emilia never ceased, although neither did the love for their children. The triplets would often sneak away to the L/n home for advice, food, or even a shoulder to cry on. Although they did it in secret, away from the eyes of the village, Alma, even Dario and Pablo.

Bruno terribly missed his best friend, but he was grateful for Emilia's constant support. He was the only Madrigal to ever celebrate the birth of a L/n, and the only villager who openly acknowledged the fact that the town needed change.

Slowly, the triplets stopped coming. Pepa was the first, abandoning the practice as abruptly as a lightning striking a tree. Julieta was slower, and had a long talk with Emilia about her not coming back. Emilia understood, the pressure was getting to Julieta, and she was in her teenage years. Bruno never wanted to stop, he just got so busy. People were wanting to look into their futures, but when something bad came up, the blame was put on Bruno. He would see fourteen hours a day, Bruno didn't want talk, he wanted sleep.

The Encanto is a happy, loving place.

But they'll never forget the night Bruno's fiancé was murdered.

Papa was unimpressed by the cheerful welcome home you'd received. He simply stared at you as Eduardo let you down, and motioned for him to leave. You began to protest, but stopped as he glared back my way. You pulled out a chair and sat in it, careful to keep your back straight and head high.

"Rumor is you've been running around with the Madrigals." Papa scolded.

"Rumors travel fast." You retort, icier than you meant it to be. You returned his stone cold glare, not backing down.

"So let's review some of them." Papa stood, and began pacing around the chair where you sat. "You went to the Madrigals home, snooped in their business, helped ruin Isabella's proposal, caused a mess in the family, and are working with Mirabel to destroy their magic?

Wow. Just wow.

"So." Papa leaned in, his face barely inches from mine. "I'd like to congratulate you on your achievements."

Achievements? What does he mean, achievements? You haven't done anything good, by any means! Unless you count the whole thing with Bruno, but nobody knows about that.

"Papa, I don't understand. You said these rumors were bad, but somehow their achievements worth congratulations?" You speculate how, even why, he may think that. When nothing comes to your head, you blink and look up to him.

"I never said they were bad." Papa corrects, entering the small kitchen and raiding the cupboards.

"Destroy their magic. How could that possibly be a good thing?!" You demand, now on the edge of your seat. Papa looks back at you, and you straighten up.

Papa turns back to his scavenger hunt, and pulls out a bottle of wine and two glasses. He sits down, and offers you the bottle.

"Would you do the honors?" Papa graciously asks, since he always opens the bottle. You take it, and pop it open just as you've observed him do it many times before.

Papa takes the bottle back and pours the wine into the glasses, nudging one towards you. You take it, not sure what's happening.

"Go on, you're old enough for your first glass." Papa raises his glass, and you mimic his movements. "Cheers."

The glasses clink, and Papa takes his sip. You sniff the surface, which reeked terribly, and took a sip. It wasn't too bad actually, and you wonder why you hadn't drank any before. You take a heavier gulp, and set the glass down.

"Papa, I'm sorry, I never meant to disappoint you." You apologize, not sure what else to say.

"Managing alcohol is important for a warrior. Their soldiers get too drunk, making them an easier target than they already are." Papa ignores my words.

You take a look around the room, and realize the family has trailed inside. Nobody seems to be listening to you, all minding their own business.

"Y/n, we need to talk about the ruined proposal. I'm very disappointed in you." Papa begins his lecture, with a direct start.

You begin to speak, but he holds up his hand, cutting you off. Papa takes another sip of wine, and swallows with a heavy sigh.

"A proposal is a magical thing. A wedding cannot happen without a good proposal. I remember your Mama and I's proposal, how wonderful it had been. I took her to the top of the mountain Encanto, and explained my job, why I leave so often. She understood, and began asking if she could train to help the cause." Papa trails off, closing his eyes. He smiles then, laughing.

"That's when I knew she was the one. That I'd made the right decision. Her family didn't like me of course, being subjected to the prejudice that most of the town clings to. But she married me, and then we began our life together." Papa opens his eyes, and looks to the ceiling. You would say he was going to cry, if you didn't know him better.

"Papa.. you're getting off topic." You remind him, not wanting to draw out the suspense of the lecture.

"Ah, yes. As I was saying, a proposal isn't something to be taken for granted! On a regular account, you should be ashamed! That poor girl would've been engaged if it wasn't for you and that Mirabel." Papa scolds.

"Papa, I really am sorry. Although I really don't think Isabella and Mariano are right together. It seems.." You sigh, and take another sip of wine. You swallow to quickly, and choke a little.

Papa watches you cough, though he stands and begins to stride away. You stop after a minute. You clear my throat, and you would've begun again.

If something didn't click in your mind.

"What do you mean 'on a regular account.'" You slowly prod.

"Hm?" Papa turns back, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"You said, 'on a regular account, you should be ashamed.' Is this not a regular account? Do you.. know something?" You nudge, wondering if he knew about Isa's confession to me.

"Well, the magic would've been destroyed by now if you hadn't ruined the proposal." Papa rolls his eyes, annoyed?

"Then it's a good thing I stopped it..?"

"No, Y/n, in order to save this town, their candle must be destroyed, along with anything else that harbors the Madrigal magic."