Chapter 27

"Don't try to run away again, won't you?" She said sweetly. That did made Cade shiver, if you asked him.

He believed in what she said. Even though he was deeply convinced that he should trust nothing that came out from their mouths, Lovelock rarely lies. And all of that was because when she was at somewhere, anywhere, she would be sure that they- The Association, already had the upper hand.

"Why are you so sure?" Cade yelled back.

"Oh?" She replied, "because of this."

Cade wanted to ask. Before he could even do so, he felt a cold needle stabbing into the back of his neck. The chill went down his spine, and his veins chilled. There was something being injected into him, and he instantly knew that it wasn't anything good.

"What—" Cade tried to say.

But it was too late. The pain took him over instantly. He could feel the liquid running inside his veins, he could feel it clotting his blood inside his body. He could feel it all.

There were no time for struggling. He couldn't resist, and could not pull himself out.

When he opened his eyes again, he was already tired to a chair. A metal one. There were chains behind the chair. He could tell with the cold form his waists.

An empty room. He was alone. He opened his eyes, and instantly a bucket of ice water came from the above.

"Finally awake, sleepy head?" Jack said, wiping the water droplets onto his shirt, "we thought you might never wake up."

"Isn't that what you want?" Cade joked, "Hm? I am secretly pleased that you actually cared enough to hope that I wake up, from wherever you injected into me."

Jack laughed slightly. "You have- so little idea of what we want."

"Then what do you want, then?" Cade laughed, "sorry for being dumb, but I have no idea. You'll have to tell me."

"What's the use of telling someone who's about to die? I mean, bringing the knowledge to heaven won't be useful." Jack continued, as he inserted another something into Cade's arms. "In case if you're interested, the girl is safe out there. We haven't done anything to her."

"Better be." Cade said, "and bold of you to assume that I would be going to heaven."

"Why would the girl have anything to do with us anyways once you're dead?" Jack laughed. "And, say goodbye to your little life, sweetheart. We promise that it would only be a little painful. After that, you'll never feel the pain again."

Cade wanted to reply, but the mouth muscles of his stopped him from doing so. He wondered why. In fact, he had been feeling more and more tired ever since he woke up, sitting inside the room and on that metal chair. He wounded if it was because of the injection, or was it because of the something else that was on his waist currently.

"Oh." Jack turned and said cheerfully, "The effect should be hitting about now. You should be feeling less and less like yourself as time passes."

"And what does it do?" Cade asked.

"The injection is actually one of our proudest inventions. We made it specifically for immortals like you. Works by tearing your magic off, especially you, Cade. It takes less than a day before you cannot take control of live organisms like you used to. The brainwashing trick of yours? You'll feel it when it hits in." Jack laughed.

"And then?" Cade said. He could feel himself breathing faster now, and suffocating inside though air was always near him. He felt as if he ran a trillion miles in one hour, and went to the moon barefoot. He felt tired, for no reason at all.