Chapter Thirty-Six: Marinette

Marinette woke up in the middle of the night.

Something was definitely off.

"Spots on," she whispered before hopping onto the roof of the tree house.

Nothing suspicious yet.

She kept a tight grip on her yo-yo as she swung across to one of the rocky walls, the river behind her flowing quietly now.

Something in her gut was still telling her that things were off, though.

"Why, hello, Ladybug."

Marinette paused, turning to see Hawkmoth and Lady Gisela a good distance away from the tree houses.

Marinette quickly held out her hands in defense.

"Stay back," she warned. "I've been practicing."

"We're not here for an attack," Hawkmoth said, coming closer. "We're simply here to make a deal with you."

He managed to come up to the rock she was standing on, Gisela not far behind.

"You see, we know you've thought of another person with your abilities," he explained. "We're here to clear up that it's all a lie."

Marinette grit her teeth together.

He had admit...

No.

"I can tell him that he's being honest," Gisela added. "Go ahead, freeze us, turn us to ice. But us out of the picture makes things harder for you and your friends. We're not waiting much longer, Marinette, and we're ready to take down the Lost Cities by force. All we need is you."

Marinette bit her lip, unaware that the two adults knew her identity.

"No, I'm not helping you," she crossed her arms. "I'm still siding with Adrien and Sophie."

"It'll be hard once they're dead," Gisela shrugged. "We just figured you might want to score a victory."

They were responded by a vine wrapping around them.

"Good luck with that," Isabela sneered.

"Don't try and hurt us," Hawkmoth snickered. "After all, we know about the miracle and how it came to be."

Isabela dropped her hand in surprise.

"You two are very powerful," he continued. "So much that with enough work, you two could possibly destroy the planet."

"As if," Marinette said, fighting to keep her powers under control.

"Come now," Gisela cooed. "We're here to help you understand your powers, figure out their origins, and help you become who you truly are meant to be. But we need you two to join us in order for it to work."

Marinette narrowed her eyes.

"I still don't trust you," she said, but in the corner of her eye, she could see Isabela contemplating the offer.

"Come on, Isabela," Gisela pressed. "You could even figure out why your sister didn't get a gift."

Isabela sucked in a breath.

"No... I can't..." she finally choked out.

"Then you wouldn't mind if we got rid of your sister," Hawkmoth said, stalking closer to the girls' treehouse.

"Wait, no!" Isabela cried. "Don't hurt Mirabel! What does she have to do with you?"

"Simple, she has the closest connection to your miracle," Gisela explained. "Maybe getting rid of her and then studying her genetics could explain why that's so, even though she's powerless."