Chapter Thirty-Eight: Adrien

Adrien, before Felix ever arrived, had been busy contemplating the entire explanation all three people had given them...

The Neverseen, according to Glimmer, were a lot more intelligent about the Forbidden Cities, and had secretly had suspicions about Adrien and Sophie, leading to the near-deaths at the exact same time. Luckily, both Mr. Forkles had managed to rescue both moonlarks and had erased the memories of the Neverseen's knowledge of the moonlarks so that it didn't happen again.

However, Umber had a secret daughter, and the Neverseen planted her as a spy to watch Adrien, since they still had some suspicions about him. The spy was none other than Lila Rossi, which explained why she always seemed to get as close to Adrien as possible and push others away. She also lied enough so people wouldn't suspect that she was actually an elf. And since people like Marinette were getting in her way (even though Marinette only figured Lila was just chasing after Adrien), she would secretly threaten them while still lying to others that she was this amazing human.

And now that the Neverseen had Marinette and Isabela under their thumbs, they planned to use the two to destroy the Forbidden Cities and the human race little by little, and their proof was all in Paris, since Marinette had turned it into a frozen wasteland, according to Dex's reports.

Then there was the other side of the story.

According to Mr. Forkle, the elves had first created the Miraculous as ways to help keep peace in the human world. However, due to the violent nature of humans, they were forced to hide them, and they trained special elves to protect the jewels, and they were the first guardians. Over time, humans whom were entrusted to keep the secret of the Lost Cities were guardians, but by the time. Master Fu came around, the divide between humans and elves was deep, so the learning guardians never learned about the Lost Cities. So when the old guardians died, the elvin world among humans died with them.

Then around sixteen years ago, the Black Swan had finally prepared for genetically modifying Sophie and Adrien's embryos, after spending years studying genetics. They collected DNA from Oralie, Cassius, and whoever Sophie's biological father was, and all three of them took a blood oath to not tell anyone. It took nearly two years to alter the two embryos, and then each Mr. Forkle took them into their respective locations, miles away from each other. Sophie was put into Emma Foster, since she would deal with keeping Sophie safe from being tainted from human medicines (but she was unaware of that), but finding the right parents for Adrien was a bit trickier. That's when Mr. Forkle and Master Fu met, and they both found the Agrestes (but they didn't fully expect for Adrien to not only be completely sheltered for most of his life, but also be paraded around as a celebrity, whereas Sophie was practically invisible). Both men had been there when Adrien was born, as was the other Forkle when Sophie was born a few months after him.

When Prentice was captured, and the memory break performed, they discovered a strand of unregistered DNA hidden in the memories, and Alden began his search for Sophie. Meanwhile, the late Mr. Forkle had the other strand hidden in his memories, the one that would lead to Adrien. That was how they never found him, since that Forkle died in the attack on Lumenaria, so the memory died as well. But the Black Swan still kept tabs on Adrien, knowing that once Sophie was found, it would be a matter of time before Adrien would need to come into the game.

How they drew Marinette and the Madrigals into the Lost Cities as well were both interesting stories.

Believe it or not, the Black Swan started keeping track of Marinette once they realized that she and Adrien were spending quite a bit of time together, mostly when they were Ladybug and Cat Noir. Only Oralie was aware of this, and helped secretly set up elvin stuff for Marinette should she be forced to enter the Lost Cities as well. So when the attack in Paris happened, the Collective had no choice but to talk to the Council about her.