Chapter Eight

|Hunter's POV|

"You don't talk much, do you?" I question Meredith, feeling guilty for my sudden rush of questions.

Meredith just shakes her head, keeping the converstaion to a minimum. "No, I guess not. I'm not really supposed to. Afraid that something will slip." She looks around as if someone were listening in on our conversation. Okay... whatever that means. "And your upfront personality makes it a little nerve racking." She stifles a nervous laugh, and I feel even guiltier than before.

"Oh, sorry." I quiet my voice. Meredith was a nice girl, and the closest thing to a friend I had in this place. "It's just... If you grew up like I did, its hardens you. Toughens you up. So I apologize ahead of time if I ever come across too strong or-"

I stop, mid-sentence, for my ears have become muffled. You know when it's really quiet and you feel like you can hear some sort of high pitched sound ringing in your ears? Well that's what I was feeling right now.

This used to happen to me all the time as I grew up. It felt as if someone were... speaking to me. Whispering even, though I could never make out what the voices were trying to say. My parents always said it was normal. That it was just the blood rushing through my ears and viens. But is that really something you can hear?

I think silence has a sound of its own.

I stare in the direction of the whispering souls over near the edge of the building. Creeping my way closer and closer to it, the voices seemingly drawing me towards them, the energy too powerful. And I couldn't keep my eyes away. "What?" Meredith's voice erupts through my thoughts, thankfully, and I snap around to look at her crazily.

"You don't hear that? You don't hear them?" I say, looking as if she were the crazy one.

"Oh, trust me. I hear them all right. They're trying to tell you something." Meredith shrugs since she apparently goes through this everyday.

"I can't understand them."

"Listen closely. Get closer to them. It's okay." And that was when I made out the first harsh whisper burst through my eardrums. One word was all I managed to get. But it was enough to scare the living crap out of me.

Leave. I stumbled back and Meredith had to catch me before I fell. Many of the patients staring at me for but a brief second. The securiry guards shaking their heads, for they dealt with the insane everyday. "How come nobody else can hear them?" I wonder.

"Oh no." Meredith says, shaking. Rocking her body and her head back and forth. "Oh no, oh no, oh no. I, I-"

"Meredith, relax. What's wrong?" It seems that a second ago she was comforting me, and now I'm in her presence comforting her.

"I- I can't. I've said to much. I have to go! I... I just have to go. Bye Hunter." And she was up and away from me like that.

The outskirts of this prison-like-asylum were actually... pretty. The balcony that surrounded the outside of the facility made the isolated world seem like a privilege to look at. The asylum was dim and stuffy. Being outside in the fresh air of the day was like a gift that I couldn't take for granted.

I walk over the the ledge where I leaned and bent over, resting my arms on the rail and sticking my waist out in a comfortable position. I inhale deeply, for I didn't know when I'd get the opportunity to be outside again.

I was enjoying the greatness of the outdoors when I feel somone, a male in particular, walk up suffocatingly close behind me, nearing my waist. I quickly stand up as straight as possible, making sure that I kept my body to myself. "Um, hello asshole. I'm standing here." I scoff at the disgusting man standing behind me. He had to be in his early thirties. His face cute, but old and worn. An oddly thick medical bandage wrapped several times around his head, concealing his forehead. A deathly black blood seeping from the whatever wound was hidden.