{15}

I wipe down each corner on the table. It was a slow day, a quiet day. It was about to be 6. The guys would start to arrive and mom would come in for the rest of our shift. I liked it when we had this slow peaceful time. Gave me time to think. Think about anything and everything.
I take a moment to inhale and exhale.
Quiet.
Then teodore comes crashing through our doors.
"Aria have you seen Matteo?" He has his hands on his knees catching his breath.
I slowly walk around the corner to him. "No... not since yesterday night at the lake. Why? Did something happen?"

"So you haven't seen him for let's see, all day?" I nod yes still confused what was happening.
"Oh no, oh no no no" teo starts pacing back and forth then sitting down at the closest table.

I grab his shoulders tired of waiting for answers. "Teo, where is Matteo" I look at him straight in the eyes waiting for him to give me a better explanation.
"His parents are in town." I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"And... that's a bad thing?" I ask hoping for him to elaborate further.
"For Matteo? Yes. Everytime they come back they promise that their staying this time. Matteo gets his hopes up then they leave him. Again. Trust me I've seen h8m after they leave. They've mentally destroyed him over and over again."
Teo finally catches his breath.

I rush out of the bakery. "Where are you going Aria!" I hear teos faint voice in the backround.

I run down the hills to the lake. I couldn't think of another place he could be. I'm not great with handling this kind of stuff. But ya know I can try.

I reach the hot sand. The thin line of my shoes broke the barrier from the burning sand.

There the green eyes are. Sitting right where the tide would get close to touching you but not close enough.
I walk over to him sitting right next to him on the warmer sand.
He doesn't give me a look. He keeps eye contact with the setting sun on the ocean.

"Hey" was all I could get out of my pale lips.

"Hi." At least I knew I wasn't the only one that didn't know what to say.

"Are you ok?" I ask knowing that was the most stupidest question ever to ask right now. Especially not knowing how he's feeling.

"I would answer your question, but you have flour on your cheek. And to your question, I don't know." I quickly wipe around my face not knowing if I'm getting it off or not.

Matteo chuckles looking at me waiting off the flour.
"What happens now?" I ask.

"Well I would go to y'all's bakery cause I told them to meet me there, they would tell me how excited they are to settle down back here. Then they stay for about 3 days. And of course the perfect part... they leave." He half smiles starting to get back on his two feet.

I get back up to his level. "I'll be there with you." I smile sneaking my hand around his waist being him into a hug.

6:03 pm
We walk into the bakery. He looks around with a kind of hopeful look.
"And of course, surprise surprise they aren't here yet." Matteo sighs sitting down at our corner table.
"I bet they'll be here soon." I say trying to cheer him up.

My mom sat with us for a moment trying to stuff Matteo's face with as many foccias as she could.
It was what she used to do to me when she told me that I couldn't have a pony and I would just ball my eyes out for hours.

Hours went by. It was now 9:34 pm. But I swore that I would stay here with him. We closed the store up by now. And we had already got dinner. We were just waiting for the parents to show.

"I'm sorry for keeping y'all, you guys should go home get rest." Matteo grabs my shoulder giving me a smile.

"Nonsense. Well wait all night if we have to." My mom reassured Matteo. My mom was everyone's mom sense I could remember.

"We're hereeeee" a tall fancy lady walked in the bakery with bags in her hand. She runs to Matteo while struggling in her 65 ft heals.

"My baby boy" Matteo's mom yelled kissing both Matteo's cheeks dropping all her bags. We all stood up to great her.
She looks at me and my mother looking shockedZ Her big glossy red lips opened in shockZ

She whispers over to her husband,"how do you say hello in Italian again darling?" She looked a little scared.
Gosh I couldn't wait for her face when she realises I'm American.

"Ciao darling." Matteo's father whispers in her ear giving me a sympathetic smile. I'm guessing she didn't understand him cause she started screaming Spanish.

"Hola! Hola! Hola!" She starts screaming at me and my mother. She pulls me into a tight hug. I quickly whisper in her ear, "that's Spanish. Darling." She quickly pulls away giving me a obviously fake smile.

Turning to give my mom a hug, my mother sucks from her hug leading Matteo's mother to hug her self. I couldn't help but laugh.

"So. Who are you two?" She asked looking us both up and down.

"como dios como mi salvador tu te quieres ir nosotros iremos-" My mother starts to take out her earring but I manage to hold her back.
Matteo's mother starts to take off her hat and heals.

Matteo mutters, "welcome home dad."