12, High School Romance Bullshit

Chapter 12,
High School Romance Bullshit

Chapter 12,High School Romance Bullshit

Grind Over WivesSeptember, 2021

Grind Over Wives
September, 2021

   THE DAMAGE of Foosh lying about Maddy's relationship status with the quarterback has been done. Even with him telling everyone the truth about not being boyfriend and girlfriend didn't help the rise in attention Maddy suddenly began receiving.

   And she's not just talking about girls that would throw themselves off a bridge (she might be using hyperbole here but that isn't important) to even be in the same position as her — being his friend — but also other people, all suddenly perceiving the girl that's been slipping through the cracks of the school for the past three years unnoticed.

   Which resulted in Maddy hiding herself from society whenever she got the chance to. Nobody would usually find her during recess, lunch break or free periods besides the people closest to her, and that's only because they asked where she is. She now hides away more than usual, knowing that nobody would look for her under the bleachers or hanging out in an absolutely abandoned classroom.

   The weirdest part, though, has been the fact that because Foosh had to tell people that he and Maddy are not actually dating, on the times that somebody managed to catch her, some of them actually asked her to homecoming.

   And she figured, okay, she actually isn't ugly. Like, at all. Which, to be fair, she never thought about herself since her distance from society is not caused by lack of self-confidence rather than an absolute distrust in humanity. Which sounds a bit brutal, but isn't that what being a teenager is like? That's what Olivia Rodrigo sings in her song with the same name, isn't it?

   Look, Maddy's extraordinary ability of exaggeration has kept her safe from the outside world for most of her life, and she's not one to step out of her comfort zone to try and prove herself wrong. Though she has been getting a bit more social recently, when talking to Tina or Blake. Sometimes, she even willingly talks to Foosh and Beck's other friends too. Mainly because they also agree that Foosh lying about them dating was a stupid idea, albeit hilarious. It's probably the first time they've got to witness Foosh be embarrassed.

   There's only a few days left till homecoming and the first football match of the year, and Maddy's been approached by at least three people about homecoming that she can recall. She declined all of them.

   Foosh is also officially going to homecoming without a date. Instead, he's going with Luke, Sam, Karl, Alex, Clay, Nick and George; all of them deciding that they don't actually need dates when they have each other. At least that's what Foosh said. Maddy and Via spent a whole minute staring at him and nodding, their expressions being the definition of the "YEP" BTTV emote on Twitch.

   As is custom for Maddy, she spends her lunch break underneath the bleachers, hiding away from the world. Though she's eventually found by Blake, who merely looks at her and shakes his head with a smile.

   "Cozy," he says sarcastically before sitting down across from Maddy with his lunch. He shuffles for a moment, trying to find a comfortable spot to sit, in a way that he can face the Adair girl and see her properly.

   She stares at him curiously with her brow arched up. "What are you doing here?" asks Maddy.

   She doesn't mind Blake being here with her, she just didn't expect to see him here instead of being with the rest of the football team. Especially so close to homecoming. One would think he'd be spending his days with the team. Plus, she's not denying that she would not have preferred spending lunch break by herself.

   "Via's spending lunch break with Tina and she felt bad about leaving you alone, so she told me where to find you," the black-haired boy explains with a shrug.

   "I don't mind being alone." Maddy furrows her eyebrows together.

   If Via wants to spend time with Tina, then Maddy will happily provide them privacy and their alone time. Though she later realizes that in order for Via to tell Blake where Maddy might be hiding away, he'd have to ask for her specifically.

   "Wait," says Maddy, glancing at Blake. "You were looking for me?"

   Blake grins at the girl's sudden realization, nodding. "You are even harder to find around here since Brown lied about dating you," he says, rolling his eyes in amusement. "But yes, yes I was."

   "Why?"

   "Because I wanted to ask you to be my homecoming date," he answers nonchalantly with a shrug. Maddy gives him a look, opening her mouth to decline, but he cuts in before she gets a chance to speak. "As friends, of course. If you want to. I just figured you could use going with somebody else in case people had a hard time dropping the idea that you're with Brown."

   "Oh," says Maddy. She didn't even think about the fact that there might still be people who don't believe Foosh's claim that he lied about dating her. Which, honestly, sounds ridiculous but who knows, right? "As friends?"

   "Yeah." Blake nods. "I'm kind of over all of the high school romance bullshit, and you seem like the kind of person whose mindset is similar, considering everything."

   "Oh," Maddy repeats. She processes Blake's words slowly, the corners of her mouth lifting in a pleasantly surprised smile. "You know what? Sure. We can go as friends."

   Blake chuckles, nodding. "Awesome."

   "I'm glad there's someone else who understands the grind over wives type of life," Maddy jokes, making Blake laugh.

   "The 'don't marry women, marry the grind type?'"

   "Exactly."

   Maddy and Blake burst out laughing.

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

   they are friends and will only ever be friends /srs i'm not even fucking kidding, man, i love blake, he's v v v cool hehehehe

© killiths | 2022