20, Rules of the Game

Chapter 20,
Rules of the Game

Chapter 20,Rules of the Game

Possibility of RejectionOctober, 2021

October, 2021

   "OH, FUCK," Foolish mutters under his breath.

   Maddy disappeared somewhere in the crowd, and partly, he's glad that he didn't get to say anything else, because God knows what would've come out of his mouth. He just blew up at her, and she didn't even do anything wrong.

   "Dude, you're a dick," says Blake, who happens to still stand there, instead following after Maddy to make sure that she's okay. It occurs to him moments later that it would've been better to comfort Maddy rather than give a piece of his mind to the quarterback, but the Adair girl is gone, and Foolish happens to be very conveniently stationed right in front of him.

   Foolish runs a hand through his hair, looking at Blake, who stares at him with his arms crossed over his chest. If looks could kill, Foolish would be dead ten times over. He sighs, "I didn't—"

   "What? You didn't mean to be a dick to Maddy? Well, too late, you prick. She's upset and it's your fault, so you better find her right now and apologize," Blake cuts Foolish off, scolding him. His eyes are narrowed as he glowers at the quarterback, a scowl on his lips.

   "Hey, guys," Beck approaches the two boys cluelessly. "Was I seeing something or was Maddy actually here?" he questions, scratching the back of his head.

   "She was here," Blake replies, hostility lacing his voice. His gaze doesn't leave Foolish.

   "Where is she now, then?" Beck raises an eyebrow, glancing at the two boys. He notices the tension between them, trying his best to ignore it. It's difficult, but he doesn't want to ask the uncomfortable question of whether they're fighting over Maddy.

   "Ask him." Blake points at Foolish, scoffing and shaking his head.

   Foolish sighs, "she's inside the house, I think," he replies.