14, Now or Forever

Chapter 14,
Now or Forever

Chapter 14,Now or Forever

Fine To Be AloneOctober, 2021

Fine To Be Alone
October, 2021

   MADDY, VIA and Tina walk to the football field together, their hands intertwined as they move through the crowd flawlessly, a part of the high school's student body simply removing themselves out of the way for the three girls.

   It's come to Maddy's attention that Via swiftly and easily rose in the school's hierarchy ever since she asked Tina to be her girlfriend. The two have been spending time together publicly, and she adapted to being popular naturally. Almost like she always was popular.

   The overthinking and intrusive thoughts in Maddy's head contemplated whether she wasn't merely bringing Via down by refusing to have anything to do with the public. Via, however, assured Maddy that she chose to be invisible with her best friend because that's what best friends do, and honestly, Maddy has never felt more love for her. She's glad that Via is happy.

   Sure, maybe she's now wondering what it would be like, if she also had a significant other, but ultimately, Maddy would be fine if she had to be alone. Now or forever, she doesn't care. Still, watching Tina and Via makes her believe in love. They seem to care about each other despite the short amount of time they've known each other properly. It's sweet.

   The three girls weave through the many visitors, either from their school or the opposing school. A lot of parents have shown up, including Maddy and Beck's dad. He's just hiding away from people, and a part of Maddy thinks he's the reason she favors being invisible so much.

   Maddy wants to sit at the back of the bleachers as she usually does. But Tina spots her friends at the front, waving at them in delight. The Adair girl stares at the people that are also Foosh and Beck's friends. Karl, Sam, Luke, Alex, George and Hannah sit together more at the front to ensure that their friends see them when they play.

   Via glances at Maddy, a silent question in her eyes. Maddy purses her lips together and nods, eventually following Tina and Via to sit with their friends. Via squeezes Maddy's hand supportively and gratefully.