15, Series of What Ifs

Chapter 15,
Series of What Ifs

Chapter 15,Series of What Ifs

DaydreamsOctober, 2021

Daydreams
October, 2021

   MADDY STARES at herself in the mirror. She wishes she could simply not care about what she looks like, but it's homecoming today. She can't just show up in a pair of tights and her most favorite sweater. Or, she could, but she would hate herself for it. She already has a dress anyway, and she spent her dad's money for it, so she can't waste it by not wearing the white dress.

   It's simple and reaches her knees, nothing too fancy.

   Blake said that he would pick Maddy up at around 7 PM. Maddy watches the time on her phone, sitting on the stairs. There's still about twenty minutes left till then, but she wanted to be ready instead of stressing out about being late.

   She watched Beck leave the house in his suit, going to pick up Hannah. "You always look ugly, no need to check," she told him, when he'd stopped by the mirror to check his hair and suit for the last time. Beck flicked her off.

   "Look who's talking," he remarked.

   "The fuck's that supposed to mean?" Maddy gasped, placing a hand over her heart.

   "You heard me, idiot."

   "Fuck you," said Maddy as she watched Beck open the front door of their house.

   "Have fun, loser!" He left.

   Maddy kills her time with a book in hand, not knowing what else to do. She's not planning to carry it with her to homecoming, though she did consider the idea. But, she came to peace with the fact that if needs be, she'll just follow Blake around like a lost puppy. Or, if it gets truly bad, she can just slither her way into Foosh's group of friends, since all of them are flying solo.

   She sighs, deciding she doesn't want to read anymore. Instead, she sits on the stairs and stares at the front door, wondering what it would be like if she wasn't so opposed to being perceived by other people. She would've said yes to Foosh, and he would be the one she'd be waiting for instead.