Chapter 3 | Hallucinations

Zenitsu's POV

I whipped my head around as fast as I could, but there was nothing there. I touched the back of my head where I'd felt something. I looked around but there was no one there, only the quiet buzz of a few bugs in the shrubs and trees.

'Must've been the wind'

___

My eyes blinked open, there was the bright light of the morning sunrise, I groaned as the light seeped into the room through a tiny crack in my curtains shined right into my eyes. I rolled over and closed my eyes in an effort to fall asleep again. But once I'm up, I'm up and I can't go back to sleep.

I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and checked the time, 9:37, it doesn't seem super early. But I stayed up pretty late last night and since it was the weekend I would have wanted to sleep a little later, plus I stayed up pretty late last night. And there was also that weird windy feeling I got yesterday, I was so sure there was someone sneaking up behind me.

I could hear it, the heartbeat of the presence, the subtle sound of their breathing. I heard it, and I knew it was there but when I turned around there was nothing, and in a split second the beating and the breathing were gone.

'I must be hearing things' I thought to myself.

I rolled out of bed and pulled my blanket along with me, I wrapped it over my shoulders and walked out of my room. Gramps was making breakfast and Kaigaku was leaning against the kitchen counter on his phone holding an empty plate with his other hand.

"Zenitsu come help me real quick, your brother won't even lift a finger to help your poor grandfather" he whined jokingly.

"I'm coming" I mumbled sleepily as I dropped my blanket over the couch.

"I'll have you know I was busy training early this morning, and then l'm going in today to do city patrol so I need to be properly fed" he snapped.

"There are bananas somewhere in the back of the fridge I think" I scoffed annoyingly, "If you're that hungry"

"Didn't you sneak out last night?" Kaigaku sighed.

"What when?!" Gramps exclaimed.

"I just went for a walk, it was nothing" I mumbled.

"Are you sure you weren't meeting up with some girl?" Gramps teased.

I blushed harshly, but didn't even get to respond before Kaigaku cut in, "Gramps please, be realistic"

I rolled my eyes as I stirred some mixture in a container next to the stove. I didn't really know what he was making but it may have been pancakes.

"Believe in something Kaigaku, it's bound to happen one of these days!" Gramps exclaimed.

"Sure, when pigs fly"

I sighed and continued to help make breakfast while Kaigaku whined about being hungry when he wasn't even helping. But eventually the three of us sat down and had a quiet meal, which was our usual weekend morning routine. Me and Kaigaku would bicker all morning while Gramps made breakfast, sometimes I'd help and most time Kaigaku just loitered by the counter not doing anything helpful. Even then we fought and bickered, sometimes Gramps would get fed up and then all three of us would bicker and fight. But when all was said and done we'd sit down and eat peacefully and after breakfast it was as if we never fought and continued with the day.

Though we couldn't all just take the time to sit down and eat during the weekdays. Gramps had to get to work, I always chose to get out of bed at the last minute and Kaigaku was always out of the house as early as dawn.