Chapter 18 | The Sword

Zenitsu's POV

I drew out some plans for the sword on lined paper while Tanjirou cooked up some breakfast.

"Do you have all the pieces?" he asked from the kitchen stove.

"Yeah probably, though I'll let you know if I need anything else" I told him.

"How long do you think it'll take until it's fully built?" he asked.

"Um, since I'll probably be working on this all day for a while then it shouldn't take too long" I explained, "Though the core for the sword is fire based, is that ok?"

"Yeah, that's fine, it matches my aesthetic" he chuckled.

"Alright then, I'm just drafting a basic blueprint and then I can start putting it all together" I said.

He nodded and set a plate with an omelet and toasted bread with butter in front of me, "Here"

"Thank you" I hummed pleasantly as I took the fork on the plate and started eating. "Are you doing anything today?" I asked him.

"No I have nothing today, I might make some calls though and review some information that I suffered greatly to get" he said.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Um, just some stuff on Muzan," he mumbled.

"Are you going to get him?" I asked eagerly.

"I want to, but there are a lot of moving parts" he started, "But I think I have a good chance to finally get him"

"Have you ever considered teaming up with the authorities or with someone else in your circle of people?" I asked.

"Everyone else is too scared to go after Muzan, and the authorities haven't made any headway in years. That task force is nothing but lower level personnel since everyone abandoned it to do other things" he shook his head annoyingly.

I sighed, "Though if they did have a lead don't you think they'd redirect some of their attention there?" I asked as I tapped on the yellow folder that he had left on the table the night before.

He frowned, "I want to make sure this is done right, I want Muzan to pay. Not only for what he did to me and my family, but for everyone else that he did something bad to. Imagine all the helpless people who can never go back to their old and happy lives because of something he did, all the orphans and widows" he said as he shook his head, "I know maybe you want to this the 'right' way, but maybe this IS the right way"

I looked down at my sheet of paper, the conversation ended there.

___

Ever since I suggested that he give the information to the authorities a few days ago we haven't talked much. He's gone out a few times but other than that we've been a bit cold towards each other. I wanted to say something, but there was nothing to say. Or nothing I could think of. I wondered if he was angry with me but he didn't really seem angry. Really he seemed more distant than anything.

I messed around with the handle of the sword, that's where the core was. Wires and other bits of metal ran up a small hollow tube in the blade to extend the power of the core to the rest of the sword. It looked ok, I mean with the proper official equipment it would be much better but for the materials that I was given it looked good.

"Hey, I'll be done soon" I said to him, he was doing something on his phone on the bed.

"How soon?" he asked as he perked up.

"I don't know, tonight or maybe tomorrow morning" I said.

"Alright then, tell me when it's ready to test out and we can take it to the forest" he said.