Chapter 10 | Under The Mask

Zenitsu's POV

This time I watched as we made our way through the city, I didn't close my eyes. I watched as we jumped around on the buildings, this time it felt like a roller coaster.

I let him drop me off at the balcony of my apartment.

I walked into the apartment after watching him jump away. The house was warm when I entered, I sighed and walked over to my room. A door opened suddenly which made me freeze in my tracks.

"Where were you?" Kaigaku asked as he leaned on the doorframe of his room.

"I was just out" I said vaguely.

"At 12:47 AM on a school night?" he asked with a raised brow.

"It's none of your business, leave me alone" I sighed as I started to go to my room.

"What's in the bag?" he questioned again.

"None of your business" I repeated as I gave him a little side glare.

"Is it drugs?" he asked.

"No, it's not drugs, it's nothing... um" I stuttered, "it's nothing illegal if that's what you're asking"

"That wasn't entirely what I was asking, but by the tone of your voice I'm guessing what you were out doing wasn't entirely ethical if not illegal" he said sharply.

"Just mind your business and leave me alone" I snapped.

And with that I went to my room and closed the door silently. Thankfully Gramps didn't hear us bickering, even though he was quite the heavy sleeper he always seemed to 'sense' when we were fighting with each other so he could break us up.

___

The next morning I flopped out of bed, I really didn't feel like going to school but it was a requirement.

Though there was something lingering in my heart, from the previous night I suspected. A little flicker of something odd that was left behind. I sighed at the odd feeling, it's not that I didn't like it. But I was left conflicted about said feelings, even though they were unspoken of.

I sat on the train watching the city pass me by as it took me to school, my bag sat on my lap and my earbuds were in my ears as I listened to gentle music.

My eyes felt heavy, I struggled to keep them open in the gentle darkness of the rising sun and the sound of the soft music. It was an early train which was heading to a part of the city where most people had cars. There were others in the train but not so many that it felt crowded like it did in the afternoons.

I decided closing my eyes wouldn't be so horrible, the train swayed comfortably. I counted the stops in my head until I became even drowsier. Counting sheep is what it felt like, I lost count eventually and didn't notice when I had restarted and started counting from 1 again. I did that maybe 2 or 3 times.

Suddenly I heard the sound of a large group of people entering the train. That snapped me out of my more than half asleep daze. I inhaled sharply at the sound and pulled my earbuds out, I rubbed my eyes and looked around the train's windows.

"Wow, where am I?" I mumbled to myself as I slipped my phone in my pocket, "Wait, where am I?" I asked myself in a sudden panic.

I shot up out of my seat and went to leave the train, I pushed past a crowd of people trying to get out of the train and see what station I was in.

I looked at the time, I had roughly 10 minutes to get to school but there was no way I'd get there in time.

I looked around but I couldn't make out where I was. I started internally crying, "Of course, this would happen to me" I whined to myself.