Chapter 12 | Tensions Are Rising

Kaigaku's POV

I heard the door open through the wall, though it wasn't the front door, I didn't hear the electronic lock's chime.

'Is he coming in from the balcony?' I thought to myself, 'Wasn't he at the market?'

I thought I saw him on the way home when I was trying to get to the train station after my shift on patrol. He was with someone I didn't see too clearly before I lost them in the crowd.

But also Gramps thought he was on the balcony at home, when I got there he told me to call him inside for dinner but there was no one there. Gramps said he swore he saw someone go out there when he got home. He thought it was either me or Zenitsu but he didn't check cuz he got busy with grading papers and making dinner.

I got up out of bed and went into the hall. I made my way into the open area of the apartment and I saw him throwing his bag onto the couch.

"Did you come in from the balcony?" I asked.

"No, I came in from the front door, what kind of question even is that?" he snapped in annoyance.

"I didn't hear the lock" I said as I nodded over to the front door.

"The door was unlocked," he said quickly.

"I remember locking it when I got home," I said.

"Maybe you didn't, I don't know, I don't care. Leave me alone" he said as he walked past me and went right towards his room.

'What are you up to Zenitsu?'

___

I sat at the table waiting for breakfast, I didn't have anything this morning so I could just relax for the day, maybe for a run or the gym later.

"Where were you yesterday Zenitsu? I thought you were out on the balcony but Kaigaku says he thought he saw you at the market with your friend" Gramps asked as he and Zenitsu bustled around the kitchen.

"Oh I was at the market, I don't know who you saw on the balcony but I was only home for a few minutes dropping off my school bag before going to the market with my friend" he said.

"But I swear I saw someone out on the balcony," Gramps said.

"What did you see exactly?" I asked.

"Well I saw the door closing" Gramps said, "I assumed someone was out there"

"Maybe the wind slammed the door shut," Zenitsu suggested.

"The balcony door opens inward, if there was wind the door would have been swimming open" I said, "Assuming the door wasn't properly closed that is, I think you all are overlooking the possibility that someone broke in while we were all gone"

"That's unrealistic, plus nothing's missing," Gramps said.

"Nothing that we've noticed yet" I said.

"What would've they stolen then? A roll of toilet paper?" Zenitsu scoffed.

"I'm just saying" I said, "Someone could've broken in, or Zenitsu jumped off the balcony and is lying to us"

"That's absurd, if I jumped off the balcony I obviously wouldn't be here right now" he sighed.

"Maybe someone caught you" I suggested, "We don't know what you've been up to, or who you've been meeting when you sneak out at night"

"Oh shut up, that's none of your business" he snapped.

"Who is it though, for all we know you've been doing business with a criminal" I snapped back at him.

"What are you implying?" he asked lowly.