Chapter 19 | Fire Escape

Kaigaku's POV

"How did someone like him get his hands on a weapon like that?" Muichiro asked in a calm yet absolutely annoyed voice.

The entire task force stared at the board where a picture of Inferno was being projected. The photo was from a security video that was taken last night. He had stolen a file that contained some classified prototype information, in the video the sword he was holding appeared to be high grade technology. The kind of sword the agency assigned to high level agents.

And when the sword and the bullet collided the sword seemed to let off some fire when he slashed the bullet. It was a specialized weapon for sure.

"He could've bought it off the market?" someone suggested.

"He could've stolen it?" another said.

"Though I guess it doesn't quite matter now. He already has it and there's nothing we can do about it" Rengoku sighed and shook his head, "Though there is something that strikes me as off, what does he plan to use the information for? He's not an inventor, if he was he wouldn't go through so much trouble stealing pre-made equipment when he can just make his own"

"Maybe he plans to sell it?" Someone suggested.

"He wouldn't have grabbed that specific piece of information unless he knew about it, and there's no connection between him and the company that it belongs to" Muichiro sighed, "It doesn't add up"

"Maybe someone who DID know about the information hired him to steal it. Maybe that's what he does, he gets hired to steal things. Hasn't anyone ever asked what he does with everything he takes?" I said.

"Mm, that's an interesting approach, is there anything else you'd like to add?" Rengoku asked.

"Um, also adding onto what you said about the inventing thing; Zenitsu was in an advanced mechanics class for a few years while he was in the academy. And based on the reports from when we questioned his friends it appears he was maybe building things for Inferno to use. Like when he broke his gloves they were repaired after a while and around that time Zenitsu started dabbling in mechanics again, and now with this sword suddenly appearing... maybe Zenitsu has been working with him maybe for the money" I suggested a little nervously.

Muichiro hummed, "Maybe, it's not a bad idea"

"Alright, then we need to find Zenitsu as soon as possible before he does anything else to help Inferno" Rengoku said, "Someone get a message to the media relations department, declare Zenitsu Agatsuma a wanted public enemy"

Tanjirou's POV

I slid the file across the table to him, Rui picked it up and opened it. He peered into the file and flipped through a few papers.

"Yep, this is it. This is good stuff, you never manage to disappoint me" he sighed with a soft smile.

"I got shot to get those pieces of paper, pay up" I said annoyingly. I felt the tight bandage that Zenitsu had wrapped around my arm under my shirt.

"Here" he said as he handed me an envelope. I ripped it open and looked at the cheque, I sighed and slid it back into the envelope before putting it into the internal pocket of my jacket.

"Alright, I guess my job here is done" I said as I started to stand up from my seat.

"Wait, there's something else I wanted to ask you about," he said.

"Not interested" I shook my head and grabbed my bag off the back of the chair. I was about to walk away when he said something that interested me.

"It involves a fat paycheck" I heard him mumble.