Chapter 22 | Mirror Lake

SMUT WARNING; IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING 

Zenitsu's POV

I sighed as I tinkered with a bunch of pieces of machinery and wires. Though the date I had with Tanjirou yesterday was really nice I was starting to feel down. Not to mention I felt pretty guilty about making Gramps worry so much.

'Maybe I'll call him?' I thought to myself.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I miss Gramps" I sighed, "I think I'm going to call him"

"Hm" he hummed in thought, "Tell him I'm holding you hostage"

"But you're not though" I said, "I don't want to lie about you"

"Zenitsu, this is really the only way I can think of where you can just turn yourself in when the time comes and you don't get arrested" he said, "So when you call, subtly mention that you want to go home and that I won't let you"

I sighed, "Alright then. I wonder, will we be able to date like a normal couple when you integrate into society?"

"Of course, we'll be able to go on regular dates without disguises and we won't have to escape out of any fire escapes," he nodded.

"Oh that sounds nice, wouldn't it be so amazing if we could go to a restaurant or if we could hang out with our friends and go out and do fun stuff together" I sighed dreamily.

"Um... what do you think your Gramps would think about me? I know it's a premature question but I just wonder what he'd say. Like, let's just say he thinks I'm an ordinary guy with a clean record, what do you think he'd think about me?" he asked.

"I don't know, I think he'd be extremely suspicious of you. And Kaigaku I think wouldn't care at all, just one more thing for him to tease me about" I chuckled and shook my head, "Would you have defended me against him?"

"Maybe I would try, though he's your brother so I guess it's not my place to say much" he shook his head.

"He's a bully, that's what he is" I scoffed, "Though I guess, that sounds fair"

"Are you really missing them?" he asked.

"I miss Gramps, let's just go with that" I nodded playfully.

He laughed, "Well, I've been thinking about everything that's been going on and I'm trying to think of a way it can all work out. Just give me some time to figure it out and I think everything will go back to normal soon"

I beamed, "Really?"

"Yes" he nodded, "I'm getting close to Muzan. And after that, well after that I can find Nezuko and start living peacefully again" he said with a small smile.

"I can't wait to meet her," I say.

He blushes and smiles even brighter, "I would love for the two of you to meet each other"

I spend the next little while tinkering. But then I get bored, it's not uncommon to get bored after doing the same thing over and over again for an extended period of time. And my bottom half was starting to hurt from sitting in the uncomfortable chair all those hours working at the table. I smiled when I thought of all the times I would spend late nights at the kitchen table doing my homework with Gramps.

I sighed and twirled my pencil around between my fingers.

"What is it now?" Tanjirou asked playfully.

"I'm bored" I state bluntly and toss my pencil onto the table, "I've been working too hard all day" I add as I look over to the window and see the golden colours of the sun setting in the sky over the city. I look back at him, "And the day's already over, there's nothing left to do"