Chapter VII. "Rebel, Rebel"

"Rebel, Rebel"

That evening at five o'clock, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Charlie Weasley, Marla Blackbird and Albus Dumbledore sat in the kitchen of 12 Grimmauld Place. Marla saw the headmaster lock the door and silence the room with a spell before taking a seat at the head of the table.

Nobody said a word as they waited for the old wizard to speak, even if all knew the subject of their summoning.

"As you already know, it seems that the Ministry has learned of Marla's lineage. I don't know how, but it does not matter. What matter is that now not only Voldemort is after Marla but the Ministry is too."

"What are you saying, Albus?" Asked Sirius. His demeanour was stern and serious (!).

"You are the only ones in the Order who know about it and for now, I think it more cautious to keep it that way. However, with more people seeking for Marla, there will also be more people seeking for the artefacts related to her family."

The artefacts in question were in the number of two. They had been created by Merlin himself to stop his son from his quest for power and had been passed as family heirlooms for centuries.

First, he created chains which were supposed to block his powers once around him. They were more handcuffs than chains and they restricted the wizard or the witch from using their magic. Marla knew the chains worked from the number of times her parents had locked her in them, she still had the painful marks around her wrists to remind her.

But, as his son grew more powerful and the chains were not enough anymore, Merlin created a dagger. The dagger, of pure silver was enchanted and allowed to the wizard holding it to control the powers of another wizard as long as he had Merlin's blood in his veins. According to the story, Merlin used his own blood to create the dagger hence why it only controlled his bloodlines. At the end, Merlin used the dagger to kill his son, after cursing his bloodline and his own unborn grandchildren in the womb of their unknowing mother.

She also knew that the dagger worked as her parents had often used it to force her exploring her magic.

She knew were the dagger was. After her parents were arrested she went back to her house, hoping, maybe to be able to say goodbye to her brother but when she arrived the house was empty. His body had been moved by the Aurors. In desperation, Marla had looked for the artefacts, hoping they were still here and not in the hold of the ministry. She had found the dagger but not the chains. That night Marla burned down her family home to the ground, hoping to leave behind her the memories that haunted her. After that she had hid the dagger safely and away from the wizarding world.

"But the dagger is safe, isn't it? You have it?" It was Charlie this time and he was looking at her.

"I do, and it's safe but I don't think that's the problem right Professor?"

Dumbledore nodded at her, he always had a fondness for Marla. At first it was curiosity about her powers but after learning to know her, he had liked how smart and witted she was and respected the wisdom that emanated from her regarding her powers.

"What do you mean?" Asked Remus.

"It means that I have the dagger and that's the problem." In front of his confused expression Marla continued.

"If I am taken, then the dagger is too. I don't doubt that Voldemort is able to break into my mind and I'm sure the ministry have their own methods to force an information out of someone. It would be safer if I didn't know where it was."

"You won't. Be taken I mean," said Charlie, "we won't let it happen."

She gave him a sad smile.

"Of course, Mr Weasley, we will do our best to keep Marla safe but we must prepare for the worst. We cannot take the risk of the dagger falling in the wrong hands. The consequences would most likely be fatal."