Chapter 14

"So Adena, Where did you go to high school?" Noelle asked me. We were sitting under the line of Oak trees that led down the long drive way. I was a little suprised when she showed up at my door early this morning asking me if I wanted to go on a walk. I'm glad she did though. Our walk allowed me to get to know her a little better. We had a lot in common, and were becoming fast friends. 

"Err... South Boundary High School." I said. I hoped she didn't know anyone from there. I didn't want her to know about my loser status. 

"Oh, I went to North Boundary High. We're rivals!" She said teasingly tossing a twig at me. 

I coudn't help but giggle. Noelle seems so playful. Suddenly I recalled the coversation Zeke and I had the previous night. I sobered up and asked her "Noelle, can I ask you a serious question?" 

"You just did silly." 

"Noelle, I'm serious. I want to know about Alex and... Brittany." I said a little cautiously waiting for her reaction to the question. Her smile immediately disappeared, and she looked down at her hands in her lap. 

She finally looked back up at me with teary eyes and said, "I wasn't here when she went missing. She's a year older than us. Everyone knows the story though. Alex and Brittany were dating. They were the king and queen of our school. They seemed absolutely perfect for each other. The only hiccup in their fairy tale was Zeke. As I'm sure he's told you Zeke was Brittany's recruiter and mentor. They were very close. Brittany looked up to Zeke as an older brother. Zeke... " She stopped talking suddenly. 

"Go on I said." Impatient for her to continue the story. 

"Well I'm pretty sure Zeke was... in love with Brittany." She said rushing the words out. I could tell she was concerned about my reaction to this news. I know it was bad of me, but I felt immediately jealous of the missing girl. How pathetic was I? 

"How do you know Zeke was in love with her?" I asked hoping she was wrong. 

"Well from what I've been told her treated her like a princess. In his eyes she could do no wrong. I saw her once during my first visit to campus. She was beautiful. Blonde hair, blue eyes, long legs. She was the whole package and envy of the girls in my touring group. Unfortunately for her the beauty wasn't skin deep. On our tour of campus we stopped for a bathroom break in the main building. She was there applying her signature hot pink lipstick. She caught me staring as I washed my hands and asked me what a freak like I thought I was doing looking at her. Then she told me she wasn't interested in girls and sasheyed out of there like the queen of England. Ugh, she was horrible. I almost didn't come to this school, because I thought how could I still be called a freak amongst people just like me. I mean aren't we all freaks compared to normal people? I couldn't tell a normal person about my invisibility without them calling the Men in Black. Zeke was definitely blind when it came to Brittany. My theory is love. From what I've been told he treated her like he's treating you now. A love sick puppy." She said. 

I gasped. "Zeke does not love me... I don't think he even likes me at times." 

"Girl, everyone on campus has been talking about you two. I think we've all drawn the same conclusion. It is like history is repeating itself. The only difference is you are Cinderella where as Brittany was the evil queen." She said chuckling at the comparison. 

"Zeke might have loved Brittany, but he definitely does not like me in that way. He doesn't even know me. How can he be in love wih someone he doesn't know?" 

"Who's in love with someone they don't know?" A voice said from behind us. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's been a year since I updated this. I've kinda lost faith in my writing skills, but I won't give up. I won't quit until this is finished. Comments, and votes are appreciated!