Chapter 1

12 years later

Bam!

My attic bedroom window slammed open. I scrunched her nose up, and pulled my blanket tighter around me, as a blast of cold air hit my face.

"Ugh, my window is broken again."

Looking to the ceiling I wished for the millionth time that the attic had central heat and air. My room didn't even have an electrical socket for a portable heater. I threw my covers back and made a mad dash for my clothes rack. The cold air chilled my skin and made me do a little dance as I put on my school clothes.

Today my couture outfit included a warm brown sweater I'd bought from the local Goodwill and a pair of old jeans I'd had forever. To top my outfit off I added an orange paisley scarf my best friend's aunt had given me. I grimaced as I looked in the mirror at my hair. My flame colored curls looked almost as if they were alive. I quickly ran a brush through the curls smothering them into a French twist. I kept a wash basin on an old end table in the narrow part of my room.

Every morning I washed my face and brushed my teeth using the frigid water. It was better than nothing. Plus, I enjoyed pouring the water out of my window located directly above my step sister's car. The cold water froze as soon as it hit the sidewalk next to the driver's door. My father doesn't allow me to take showers while his family was in the house. I showered in the daytime while my step family was away or, at school after gym.

Done with my morning hygiene routine, I sat on my blue ottoman and put on a light sprinkling of make- up. Once upon a time my mom had sat on this very ottoman doing the very same thing. My mom would apply her make up with expert precision, happily listening to me chatter.

The ottoman was actually one of three things I had from my life before the fire. A fire stone attached to a sturdy silver necklace was one of the other two items. The necklace or stone never rusted. I had worn the necklace since the lawyer gave it to me after my mom's funeral. It was as if the necklace grew with me over the years. The chain was never too big or too small. The necklace fit as if I was born with it on.

The third and last object I got was a wooden cube made out of cherry. I knew the cube was hollow and held something within its walls. Unfortunately the cube was crafted as if it was Pandora's box. Nothing was getting in, and nothing was getting out. My best friend and I had tried many times over the year. We'd even talked the wood shop teacher into taking a buzz saw to it. The saw didn't even leave a scratch on the surface. After that I left the mysterious box alone, deciding it wasn't meant to be opened. Sometimes if I looked into the mirror quickly enough my reflection looked like her mom. My mom... 

BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... 

I awoke to the heart monitor next to my bed. I was smart enough to realize I was in a hospital bed. A nurse wearing brightly colored scrubs decorated with frogs startled me. 

"Oh, you're awake. I'll go get the doctor." 

All I could do was stare at the door the nurse had exited. Soon a doctor came into my room. 

"Hello Adena, I'm Dr.Rhysune. How are you feeling? Do you feel any pain in your chest or stomach?" 

He grabbed her wrist lightly laying two fingers across it, while staring at his watch. 

"Where's my mommy?" I cried clutching the blanket up around me. 

Dr.Rhysune looked at the nurse who had returned to the room. 

"Please get Ms.Miesuse." he said. 

The nurse gave me a sad look and left to do as the doctor ordered.