Chapter 11

THE SHADOWSINGER

The shadows left, and the quiet became overwhelming. So much so that it felt like the quiet was screaming.

My body felt infinitely heavier, my muscles so much weaker. Everything was so loud and silent at the same time.

"Return home, my light."

"Return home."

"To me, to your sisters."

Despite the amount of pain flowing through every ounce of me in that moment, I pushed up and looked at her. At Amaya, standing before that female.

The female's hand stretched out to her.
Amaya's hand reached as well.

"No.. Amaya-" it hurt to talk, to say anything at all. It burned, but I needed to stop her. So I pushed. I pushed up but I failed. My arms gave out so quick.

Cassian was next to me, but I did not care.

Amaya..

Her eyes met mine, but only for a split second.

Because she spoke her words. The two words that broke every inch of me.

I wanted to scream at her.

"I will."

The shadows returned.

I felt light.

The world went black.

—————————

What purpose was there, if I did not have a goal to strive for? What was the point, if I did not have that goal.

Shadows were friends.

Night was home.

Darkness was mine to control.

But now, as I lay here, I felt so out of control.
None of it was home.

It was hell.

Every ounce of me burned.

With rage.

With agony.

It burned, and it needed dimming.

When I awoke, Cassian was right there.

We looked, he nodded.

As did I.

—————————

"You will do no such thing." Rhysand spoke clearly. "If this is true, you will not put yourself at risk."

I stood with my arms crossed tightly over my chest by one of the many pillars in the room, while the entire circle sat around the table.

Feyre next to her mate.

Amren next to Mor, Nesta next to Cassian, Elain sat by an empty seat. Supposedly my own. But I did not feel the need to sit.

"Rhys. This is Amaya we're talking about." Cassian said, his finger tapping on the table while he spoke. "We can not leave her to her fate."

Rhys shot a glare that could kill thousands Cassian's way. A glare that could make even me shrink. "If Queen Solana is still among us, then we've got bigger problems on our hands."  Night seemed to fill the room the more he spoke, "Way bigger problems."

"I will not let her rot away in Dusk."

Everyone looked up when I spoke. I rarely did in meetings. But Rhysand was suggesting something that wasn't even an option in my playbook.