Chapter 26

THE HEIRESS

His scars were magnificent. Such fascinating things, whirling across his skin. His hands, so gentle. His skin, so soft.

I got to admire him, again and again. All night long. Round after round. The night went on for a long long while. Occupied with activities even the devil wouldn't condone.

Now we laid here, as the sun started to crawl its way back onto the horizon. My fingers traced soft, gentle figures onto skin of his chest. My hand rising and falling in the rhythm of his breathing.

A calming thing, to finally follow it so intricately. The way his body was marked with his story. Start to finish, all over. Every scar had its story, some fresher than others.

But now I finally got to say that these scars told my mate his story.

Stating I merely wanted this for convenience, would definitely bite me in the ass later. Everyone would know, for our scents were now one.

Hitori would know.

Cassian probably already knew.

And Rhysand... The High Lord.

The shadowsinger laid asleep beneath my touch. So at peace, I almost wished the night would've lasted a tad bit longer. To give him a chance to rest. Something inside me constantly told me this male got no rest. He was always up and running. Taking care of things. Making sure everyone was safe.
He heard things nobody else did. He knew things. He never got rest, except around me.

Anytime I came within a feet of him, his shoulders would sag. His shadows would fade away, and his brows would unknit themselves. That line between them fading gradually the longer I spent in his presence.

It amazed me, just how much effect I had on this single male.

A gentle soul such as him deserved a better mate. Someone who could offer him more.

But as I laid here beside him, staring at his peaceful face, I realized I wanted to be selfish. For once, I wanted nothing more than to trace the shape of his jaw each morning. To trace the shape of his lips with my own each sunrise, again and again. I wanted him to be mine, and he was. Though not in the way I wished.

I made him believe what my intentions were. I was clear, and strong with my words. I gave him the wrong idea.

Hitori. That male had been a spurt of the moment thing. Nothing about him made me feel quite the same as this male beside me. His fire was not quite the same as my shadowsinger.

My fingers caressed his cheek, a faint smile playing on my lips. The longer I stared, the lighter I felt. But it wasn't gravity. My skin began to glow.

Most say that this was the power of the High Lord of the Day Court. Helion Spell-Cleaver.

But this was different, this was... Powerful in a different way.

Moonlight had always been my source of comfort. Of power and strength. It was always the moon that lead me.

The way my powers turned Azriel's shadows into something light and free.

The way I could control whisps; those shadow like things. Droplets of the moon.

And as I lay here, I realized that this male. Azriel, the shadowsinger, was the one who allowed my power to live. To thrive amongst darkness. His powers were opposite to mine, yet equal all the same. Mysterious, and one of the lasts alive.

Except for my mother. At the thought of her, my skin returned to normal. The glow disappearing. The subtle hints of anger and frustration diminished it.