Chapter 16

THE HEIRESS

The corset fell to the floor, the ropes splayed out on the floor. I could finally breathe.

The gown I had worn to breakfast fell looser, but it was so much more comfortable.

Hitori stood before me, watching my every move as I weighed the sword in my hand.

"Was that appealing to you?" I asked.

Hitori snorted, raising his sword to mine. "I find other things far more appealing, my lady." He said honestly.

I couldn't help but smile as I too raised my sword.

"Such as?" I asked, placing one of my hands behind my back.

The corset had been too restricting for our sparring, so I opted to take it off anyway. Hitori had watched. Offered his help too, but I denied needing any.

He swung, and I blocked. To which I earned an answer to my question, "I like being Captain." He said.

"So you find it appealing to rule?"

This time I swung, aiming low. He blocked.

"Among many things, yes."

I went in for a combination. Swinging my sword, hitting every one of his blockages. But as I swung, I noticed how he left his left side open and vulnerable.

"Why not become General, if ruling appeals you?" I asked, switching my sword to my right hand in one swift toss.

"It is not ruling that appeals me most, my lady." He answered. Neither of us swung.

"Please. Call me by my name."

He stared, unsure of himself. A smirk was all I mustered.

"Amaya." I told him, and he nodded. To which I swung my sword. Going in for yet another combination. Waiting for that opening of vulnerability. And when it showed, I took it. Poking the tip of my sword into his side.

"Impressive." He drawled, taking a step back to prevent my sword from piercing. "You've been taught well, Amaya."

"I would hope so." I said as I lowered my sword.

He sheathed his sword, and stepped towards me. "How can you battle with those-" He motioned to my wings, "things?"

"Those things, Captain Caldwell, are the pride and joy of their culture."

"So not yours?"

My brows furrowed, "What is it you mean?"

"Not your culture? Illyrians, are they not?"

"They are."

"Do you not claim their culture as your own?"

I shook my head, and turned to pick up the corset. The second I bent over, a spark shot down my spine that caused me to gasp. I straightened and whirled back around, finding his hand outstretched.

As he realized what happened, his eyes widened and his hands moved behind his back. He retreated a few steps. "My apologies, your grace."

My breathing had picked up, clutching the corset to my body as that sensation buried itself deep in my very bones.

I could not get a word out, for the doors to the hall opened before I could think of any to say.

Thesion walked in with those soldiers from an hour ago. The tension of the space seemed to reach him, as he came to a halt besides Hitori.

He noticed me clutching the corset to my torso, and he sniffed the air.

His head snapped to the Captain. Their eyes did not meet.