Chapter Four

Previously:

The more time I spent away from them, away from the reminder of death, the less I would see the blood on my hands of so many people I'd killed.

It seemed that the more I distanced myself from the others, the easier it was to pretend that I wasn't being haunted by my regrets.

.

.

.

It turns out that my wishes are never granted. It may also be possible that life hates me. It was the day after the next from the argument that I was called into the head security’s office. In there was Lissa, Christian, Eddie and Dimitri and I just knew that I wasn’t going to like this.

“Guardian Romero,” I said as I stood behind the chairs, hands clasped behind my back. She grinned at me.

“Mazure, Guardian Castile has to go away for a couple of days, but the Princess and Lord had planned a trip to the shops. Unfortunately Castile leaving means they are down one guardian and we need one more,” I almost groaned but bit it back, putting a tiny, kind smile on my face.

“I’d be happy to find someone for you,” it was meant to be a hint, but I could see she didn’t care.

“I would like you to take them. I’m sure that with you there they would be safe.”

“I have classes.” my head thumped due to the bond and I almost reached up to touch it, but I knew that Dimitri caught site of my twitching hand. I didn’t want him to think that he was right, even if he was.

“I’ll have somebody cover them, your rotation shifts as well. Go get some sleep so that you can be up at day break, it takes a while to get to the shops.” I was obviously dismissed and pissed but nobody ever seems to care about that. I nodded my head, turned and left. The moment I was out I pulled my hair down out of its ponytail and sighed.

 “I’m going to bed, seeing you all in a few hours,” I sighed.

“Oh, and don’t forget to dress like a girl, it is the human world after all.” Lissa said and I paused, turning around, placing one hand on my hip.

“Excuse me; I am dressing like a girl!” I pouted and she raised an eyebrow.

“Sure, Rose. Just try and wear something that has colour in it.” and then she turned and I poked my tongue out at her back before turning on my heels and walking away.

I was more annoyed at the fact that she thought that she could still dictate my life. I understood the fact that she’d try and tell me how to dress and scold my swearing when we were teenagers, but she had no right to anymore.

I frowned, going through my wardrobe. I had nothing with colour on it. Okay, I lie, I had one red crop top, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to wear that. I shrugged; I pulled on black skinny jeans, the red crop top that was quite baggy and hung off one shoulder and a black leather jacket that I hid my stakes in. I put my hair down and left it down in its waves before putting very minimal make-up on. I hated wearing the shit now.

 I suppose it’s now because I understood that looking your worst isn’t the worst thing in the world anymore.

I sighed, nodding once at my reflection before grabbing my wallet and phone and shoving them into my pocket. Walking towards the gates, where we were meant to meet up, was kind of odd. The sun was only just breaking through the clouds, warming my cold skin. It felt really good. At this time I usually sit in the church, getting as much sun as possible. It was different feeling it warm my skin rather than getting it indirectly through a window.