Chapter 2 - Misaprehension

Song for This Chapter

Feren opened the door to my chamber. My things were already there, piled upon the floor at the foot of a bed, which was in the center of the rounded, stone-walled cavern. There was a table off to the left, whereon the elves had laid a tray with bread and fruit and a bottle of wine. There was also a high backed chair. Both pieces of furniture were elaborately carved.

To the right of the cavern sat a large stone tub for bathing.

The dwelling was lit with glowing torch lights, the same peculiar kind we had passed earlier.

Feren crossed the room to a large woven basket and opened it, taking out a very warm looking blanket and laying it across the high-backed chair.

"For your comfort, My Lady."

"That is very kind, thank you."

"Of course. "

"Feren...what illuminates these torches?" I asked.

"It is old magic. King Oropher first learned it from the white wizard and we have always lighted the palace thus. It is beautiful, is it not?"

"Yes, it is." Now that I was truly looking, I was mesmerized by it. The light was not made of fire, that I could tell, but its own sort of glow, like a soft orange mist, contained in the shape of a long drop of rain and hanging from the ceiling.

I was no stranger to otherworldly illuminations, and although this was unlike the gold or soft white moonglow of Lothlorien, it made me feel a little closer to my people just the same.

"Please enjoy the wine, a welcome from the king," said Feren. "I promise you will enjoy it."

A welcome from the king. I had to choke back a rather doscourteous reaction to that. "You are well known for the fineness of your wines," I said instead.

"Yes, My Lady."

"I am sure I will enjoy it. You may extend my thanks to your king."

"You mean our king, My Lady. You shall be considered a member of this kingdom."

His words might have been intended as a gesture of inclusion, but they felt more like a warning. I was to treat him not only as a king, but as my king.

"Yes," was all I could offer.

"And you may tell him yourself, if you wish. He holds a feast in honor of your arrival at nightfall."

"...Oh. I see. Eh...are you certain of that, Feren? He seemed...less than happy to meet me earlier. Perhaps that has changed."

"No, My Lady. My king may lack diplomacy in his speech, and indeed he speaks his thoughts rather..." he gave a little shrug of his head, "...unreservedly, but, he is a most gracious host. He would not allow your coming to go unmarked."

I was not convinced. Not one little bit.

"You will get used to his way," added Feren in a sympathetic tone.

I smiled. "Thank you. I'm sure it will be just fine," I lied, if only to soothe the tired look upon his face.

"Feel free to explore the wild gardens off the Western doors, and if you wish to read, there is a collection of materials on the way there. We do not encourage venturing into the wood alone, however, as that is a risk even for our strongest soldiers."