Chapter 6 - Unburdened

Song for this chapter

***Rare Chapter notes***
For one thing, I want to mention there may be a mild trigger in this chapter for those sensitive to assault of any kind. For another, and on a more personal note, I will say that I lost my little brother, who was like my own kid, several years ago, and for that reason, this chapter was both very easy, and very hard to write. ***
---------

"I'm glad to be coming with you," I said to Tauriel, as we rode along the Mirkwood Road. "It is nice to have a change, even these woods," I said, glancing into the trees uncertainly.

Some of the Guard, along with the king's servant, the King himself, and myself, were travelling outside Mirkwood to acquire necessary supplies for the kingdom. Many things were brought to us by carrier boat upon our river, but some items we would travel to nearby towns to acquire. In addition, the king was to negotiate with the nearest port city for the price of Elvish made blades.

"I am happy to have you along, My Lady," Tauriel said. "And do not worry. All will be well, especially with the king present."

The king.

The king hadn't been himself with me in days. Not since I'd questioned his qualms about healing. Instead, even when sparring with swords, he'd been aloof, far away, and he did not even offer any of his usual biting comments. Truthfully I hated that more than if he'd been cross or even rude. Some show of feeling would have been preferable to utter indifference.

Instead, he seemed to have shut me out entirely. And when the king shut you out, it was a very cold shadow in which to dwell.

As it was, when I asked him if it would be acceptable for me to travel to the mortal town with his party, he had simply answered, "Yes. You may come," and not a word beyond that.

I was grateful to have Tauriel and Feren as company at the palace. They were becoming dear friends, though one of them spent a good deal of time in the woods, while Feren was frequently with his king.

Still, despite their comradery, I was feeling lonely, and I realized, with no small sense of dismay, that I had come to view the king as a friend, and his shift in attitude toward me felt painful.

At our speed, it took us only half a day to break through the forest, and thankfully with no event.

The city, called Parinway, was just outside the shadow of the Lonely Mountains, and there were many Woodman there today, crowding the ports with their trade and pouring forth from inns and brew houses.

The king dismounted his horse and Feren followed him up the steps of a larger building, which I assumed to be the center of their governing. Tauriel and I waited with the other elves, until she said, "We are free to look about, if you wish. We might watch the ships come in..."

"Oh, yes," I said eagerly, getting down from my own horse and following her through the hoard towards the piers.

We stopped upon one and Tauriel nodded at a distantly approaching boat with several stern looking guards upon its deck. "That one carries gold," she said.

"Yes, the guards..."

"That's right."

"And that one is pretending to bring trinkets....but look closely at the bottom of one of the barrels."