Chapter 8

Meg’s POV

They’ve finally released me from the hospital. My wounds have healed enough that they let me go; they assigned me a room next to Finn, and near command. But I haven’t seen the room yet. The moment I get out they called me to command for an info update.

“So what’s this all about?” I say as I walk in. Katniss looks at me and smiles.

“Good to see you Meg.” I smile a bit at her; she took me under her wing when I was young, so I could become the new symbol of the rebellion alongside her, or not alongside her if the worst should happen. Peeta nods politely to me and I smile back.

I sit next to Arvis. “So what’s going on?”

“We have to wait till everyone gets here.” I look around at the table. Johanna, Beetee, Gale, Katniss, Peeta, Arvis, Haymitch, Effie, Cyria, Mog, and a few others I haven’t bothered to remember the names of. The only ones missing are Mrs. Everdeen, Finn, Collin and Jem. Wait...Jem won't be coming....

“Okay.” We wait for only a few seconds before Finn walks in, wheeling Collin in, in a wheelchair. Behind them is Mrs. Everdeen.

“Sorry we’re late,” she says “I caught these two trying to sneak down to Beetee’s work shop” Finn and Collin try their best to stay unnoticed by everyone else. She gives them an annoyed mom look. “From what I have come to understand, they were going to turn Mr. Venwan’s wheelchair into a miniature mobile weapon.” I look at the two of them, holding in laughter, and see them holding back laughter as well. I glance over at the others and the majority of them have bemused expressions, Haymitch full on laughs but Effie gives him a look.

Katniss stands as Finn wheels Collin next to me. I’m glad the boys are getting along. “Alright. What I’m about to show you, some of you have already seen, but I know the majority have not.”

“What is it?” Collin asks.

She gets a remote and presses a button. The screen behind her comes alive as she sits down looking a bit sad. Beetee takes up where she left off.

“What you’re about to see is the first and only Capitol Hunger Games.” I give him a look, why do we need to see this? He catches it; I notice Collin and Finn also have the look. “These Games feature Capitol children of high ranking officials. Two of them are Former President Snow’s granddaughter and nephew.”

This news surprises me. I wonder why they’ve never shown me this. The program starts with the interview with a 17 year old Thaddius Stone, wearing a white suit with a red tie, looking very attractive compared to how he looks now, with smoothed down black hair, and a more normal looking face. Caesar Flickerman, sitting across from him, his hair dyed sea foam green, wearing a matching colored suit, although he doesn’t look as well as he has in the past.

“So tell me, Thaddius” Caesar starts. “You are the nephew of former President, am I correct?”

Thaddius nods grimly “Yes I am.”

“Do you think you will receive any special treatment in the games because of this?”Caesar asks looking at Stone.

“Well, I certainly hope not.”

“What do you mean?” Caesar asks

“If this is the treatment I receive for being related to Snow, then I hope I don’t get anymore of this so called ‘special treatment’” Stone says with distain in his voice.

“I see..and, your cousin Celestia Snow is a tribute as well.  How does that make you feel?” Caesar asks. Stone’s handsome face, already sad, seems to be sadder.