Chapter 13

Jem's POV

I find myself standing in front of three full length mirrors, just as I had before my interview for the games, but this is a different room than before. And this time they have me in some-what tight gray dress that goes down to my knees and covers my chest to my collarbone, with long tight sleeves to cover the bruises on my arms. One of the people who prepped me comes over and puts a small white rose shaped pin on the chest of the dress on my left side. My hair is done in a nice bun in the back of my head. I almost look like how I used to, before the games and the Capitol.

Karter had given me a page of what I'm supposed to say. When he first gave it to me I tore it up and threw the pieces in his face. He didn't like that. They put a gun to my head and made me memorize it, cutting and hitting me when I got it wrong. God I'm hungry. I haven't had a decent meal in....ugh I don't know how long.

"You look beautiful." I look up into the mirror and see Karter is behind me, leaning against the doorway.

"Shut up" I hate him. I hate him so much. He comes up closer to me. I try to move away but they have me chained to the floor by my feet, and my arms tied together. I feel his arm encircle my waist as he comes in front of me, gently brushing a strand of hair from my face. I try to jerk away from him but he only pulls me closer. He begins to lean in and I try to lean away. Oh god he's trying to kiss me! Don't fucking kiss me! The door opens and he pulls away. Thank god! He unlocks my chains and two peacekeepers grab my arms and pull me towards the stage. Karter walks behind us.

"Don't fuck this up Jem. You mess this up and you'll be dead." I glare back at him.

"I'd rather be dead than a prisoner here." The peacekeeper on my right pushes me a bit and I can hear a man talking as we near the door at the end of the hallway.

"Fine. If you fuck this up, Jace will be dead" I hesitate and he comes in front of me once again. "So smile, and say what I told you to say, and act like you mean it. Or more people than Jace will be dead"

The peacekeepers let go of me but remain at my sides, I turn back to look at Karter "I don't want any more blood on my hands other than yours."

He takes an angry breath "Just get in there" I turn to the door and put on my stage face. The peacekeepers open the spruce doors and I'm ushered over to a chair across from Caesar Flickerman, on a small stage in front of three cameras. I look around a bit and see that in the cameras view it has been made to look like we're in a nice clean normal room, with white tiles and cozy looking wallpaper. The complete opposite of what this building is really like. I sit in the chair and look at Caesar who smiles a bit at me. His face absent of his usual wide smiles, the cameras must not be on yet.

"Hello Jem." He says with a bit of sadness in his voice, even through the makeup I can see some dark circles under his eyes. Is he prisoner here too? No...they wouldn't imprison him. He may not agree with the Capitol but he will not argue with them. He'll say whatever they want and calm the districts with his familiarity.

"Hello Caesar." He smiles a bit at me. "How are you?"

"Much better than others." He sighs faintly. "I don't think I need to ask how you are." I just nod and he nods a bit as well "Hopefully this interview will stop some of the fighting and the war will end once and for all...We must stay positive Jem."

The camera man begins the countdown and all signs of any sadness are wiped from Caesars face, replaced with his usual smile. I put on my camera face as Caesar faces the cameras, getting ready to address the nation.

"Good evening to all in Panem. Please put your work, food, or otherwise down for a moment and listen up, because we are coming to you live from the capitol with some very interesting news. Here today we have with us, Jem Clematis." The camera nearest me turns on and I smile at the lens. "So Jem, how are you after the whole ordeal in the games?"