Chapter 17

Crimes of the Capitol

Meg's POV

Well, there's another day wasted. I couldn't focus on the props; Hell I can't focus on anything as of the late.

Today's my eighteenth birthday and I couldn't even get a day off. It would be nice to sulk in peace for one damn day, but that obviously isn't in my job description.

Collin and Dath are still annoying as ever, and they get days off all the time. Do you think I do? Hell no! Because Meg can't have a day off because if I don't film everyday they might miss the perfect opportunity to piss me off!

Anyway, I get back to my room and I start to undress when my door opens. I groan. Can I not have five minutes to myself? Five minutes?! I whip around, shirt in hand, about ready to bite somebody's head off when I see who it is. Collin.

"Why are you here? Is something wrong?" I ask

"Uh, no, but you are being requested in the mess hall." He says trying to look anywhere but me. "Why are you in such a bad mood?"

I give him a hard look, and I can tell he regrets even bringing it up. "You don't want me to start; I can already see the look of terror on your face. So I'll just let it slide this time." I put my shirt back over my head and start to walk out the door.

Collin walks next to me on the way down to the hall, where I can only imagine is some little party thing for my birthday. Yay me. More like gag me.

We make it to the mess hall and as soon as I walk in everyone screams happy birthday. I'm a little upset because I prefer just me and my squad just chilling in one of our rooms. It's just what we did, and that's why we were so much closer than all the other squads. We cared about the little things like just talking and hanging out like the teenagers we are, and not having to worry about the war or the hunger games or what was going on at home. We were home with each other and three of us aren't here. One is dead, another captured and the third corrupted.

Jem, my best friend. She's the one who always had my back and backed up every position when needed.  She never asked why she had to do something, she just did it. She was always positive in the low times, and kept me driving. She is the one who made sure all of us were in the right state of mind, not me, her. I failed her. I was supposed to have her back since she always had mine, and I failed.

Tears start welling up in my eyes and Collin instantly senses my change in mood and puts his arm over my shoulder, but I'm quick to shrug it off.

I take one more look in the scene around me before I take a few steps back and run down the hall. I about trip twice but I eventually make it to my desired destination unscathed.

I knock on the door, and when it opens the last person I can look to as a father figure stands there looking at me. Haymitch.

The tears burn hot in my eyes once again, and he instantly guides me inside and closes the door behind us, away from prying eyes. I didn't originally plan to come here, but with the day I've had, I'm happy I did.

"Meg, what's wrong? Why are you here?" He asks once we are both sitting down.

"I needed a break from everything." He looks at me, knowing there's more. "They threw me a party for my birthday. I just got a tad bit emotional because I started thinking back to my birthdays in the previous years. It started off shitty because I couldn't just sit in my room and sulk, like I originally planned. Instead I had to go to command, get prepped and ready for more dumb propos. I was the only one that had to fucking work today out of what's left of my squad. Plus the looks I keep getting are unbearable! I am so sick and tired of people constantly feeling sorry for me and reminding me that EVERTHING in my life sucks right now! I just can't take it!" By the time I'm done my face is red and there are tears running down my cheeks.