Chapter 15

Jem's POV

It's been about two months. Everything has changed. But 13 has prepared me for this. Jace and I have been beaten, interrogated, and tortured. Only one meal a day now, we're constantly on the chains except for two hours of the day that we're allowed off. But how we're treated isn't the only thing that's changed. Karter is different. He's worse than before, more violent and hostile.

"Jem..." Jace's voice shakes me from my thoughts, his voice raspy and dry "When will they come get us?"

I look over at him; his clothes bloodstained and tattered, his face and body covered in cuts and dried blood, and his eyes filled with fear and hopelessness; so different than the smiling boy in the market. "I don't know Jace. But it has to be soon. Meg and Dath won't stand for this; they'll make sure to get us out soon."

"You said that a month ago and they're still not here." He tears up "I don't know if I can take anymore, Jem. I don't know if my family is okay, or anyone we know. I don't think that they're coming. They don't need us so they're not going to come get us. Jem I can't do this!"

"STOP IT! You stop talking like that right now!!" I yell at him, and he flinches "They're going to come back for us! Dath and Meg would never abandon us! And I don't know if my family is okay or not either! So we just have to assume that they're fine! We just need to stay strong and keep our heads. Jace you can do this! When we get through this we'll see our families again! You've just gotta stay strong! Meg and Dath will come get us. Dath...I promised I would come back to him...same with my sister, and I don't plan on breaking any promises anytime soon."

I'm interrupted by the door sliding open and a guard coming over, "Miss Clematis, I have orders to take you."

"Take me? Take me where?" I ask but he says no more and unchains me but quickly placing cuffs on my thinning wrists.

"Where are you taking her!?" Jace yells at him, pulling against his shackles.

I glance back as Jace as I'm pushed towards the door, "Stay strong."

"You too." I hear him say before they close the door. On the other side waits another guard. They usher me down the hall, one on either side of me.

I don't know what this is, if it was a rescue they would have brought Jace along. So this must be more bullshit interrogations or some torture they have planned. I could probably take down one of these guys, take his gun, shoot the other, run for it, but with the handcuffs it probably won't work. I could try but it's unlikely. We go down a maze of hallways and through doors that all look the same. I couldn't find my way back if I wanted to. Finally they stop at one of the doors and the guard to my left opens it, taking me inside. It's one of the prep rooms, I'm then strapped to a table as a prep team comes in. Oh god, not another interview.

After about six hours I am once again chained in front of a full length mirror to look at myself. They've mutilated me. Taken one of my few memories of home. My hair has been cut short. After months of being mistreated, they gave in and chopped off the hair that once reached the middle of my back. I cried as they did it. All those memories of Grace braiding my hair, my mom running her fingers through it to calm me down, and Dath casually brushing it out of my face so I could focus on what I was doing; they're all gone. It barley reaches my chin, but they've straightened it, so it'll be shorter when back in its curly state.

I'm so clean and pretty looking it's like I was never even chosen for the games. Except for maybe the fact that I look like someone who hasn't had a decent mean in forever. If it wasn't for the short black dress I'm in, one could easily see my ribs. But with the tight waist and low cut of the dresses collar, you can see how thin I am. However this dress looks nothing like something for an interview or a propo, more like something for a dinner party. Nor does my makeup, it's mostly just natural colors to hide my bruises, scars, and weight loss. The only unnaturalness is the dark eye shadow and red lips. I bend my knees and pull the bottom of my dress down. It's uncomfortably short for me; being only mid thigh.