| thirteen

『 chapter thirteen 』13| dancing with our hands tied

chapter thirteen
13| dancing with our hands tied

The evening of the fundraiser had been a whirlwind. At first, things seemed as if they'd go swimmingly, but that was before the event had even began. When I was up all night waiting for a call from Jess that never came.

I had wanted him to ask me to the fundraiser with as much confidence as Ezra had. Someone I didn't even know. But I pretended that a small part of my feelings for Jess hadn't withered up in my chest as I got dressed for the evening. I didn't need to go with anyone, it wasn't something as couple frequenting as a school dance. But it was still important to me and that mattered.

Macy stood beside me wordlessly fighting me for the small foreground in front of my mirror where you could stand and see your whole body. There wasn't enough for the both of us but we refused to get ready for events like these without each other.

"You're doing that wrong you know." Macy side eyed the shaky hand belonging to me that attempted to draw a line along the edges of my mouth.

I snapped the lid on the lipstick with a grunt and kneeled to the floor in surrender. My lipstick would win and so would Jess. Whatever stupid game we seemed to be playing.

"Teddy stop sulking." Macy ordered, kneeling beside me and picking up my lipstick she effortlessly swiped it over my lips and smudged the edges out with her finger to blend it. "You look beautiful."

"I want Jess to think I'm beautiful."

My words seemed to dazzle Macy who double took the way I sat on the floor pouting for a boy who didn't even know I was upset. I knew I was being a hormonal teenager but that didn't mean I had any means of stopping my tantrum.

"I think he finds you beautiful. He just seems complicated." Macy sighed, relaxing into her knees on the plush carpet floor. Now that we were both ready we just sat there fiddling with the carnage we had created to be beautiful. "Not that that's an excuse."

"It isn't." An idea washed over me so fragile that I only had moments to jump to my feet before my knees would buckle under me and root me to the carpet out of fear. I reached for the phone beside my bed and dialled the number I had begun waiting to call me at any hours of the night.

Jess didn't pick up until the third ring. "Hello?"

"You're an ass, Jess Mariano." Was all I said before hanging up.

Macy devoured the delicious evil grin on my lips. She was proud of me for verbally abusing the guy over the landline and so was I. Screw Jess and my feelings for him that weighed on my chest like a blanket of snow. They chilled me from the inside knowing he didn't return them.